Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you discipline a 5 yr old who is mid-evaluation

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

He hit the teacher and threw chairs today. I'm so angry but I know spanking doesn't make sense and timeouts do not work for him

What would you do?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2015 at 3:08 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2015 at 3:30 PM

bump

RazzledRainbows
by Razzled&Frazzled on Oct. 8, 2015 at 3:36 PM

Doesn't matter if he's in the middle of evaluation or not. By 5, you should know what kind of disclipine works. In our house, for my youngest, I make him stand in the corner and (sometimes) tell him I am very disappointed in him.  I also use LOTS of positive reinforcements. If I see he is doing something great, or trying his hardest to use his speaking (he has issues with speech), he gets either a sticker, or can get .50cents for a surprise at lunchtime. He's 7, and it still works to this day.

My 9 year old has an attitude. I've found that taking something away, throwing something away, not being able to go somewhere special, laying on the bed until calm-really works. Again, positive reinforcement. Yesterday he had a GREAT day-he talked to a boy he wanted to be friends with, and opened his shell. Because of it, I told him he could invite the boy over and that I was proud of him. He's very physical and loves hugs and kisses, so he got several of them.

What all have you tried? And ignore any wrong spellings. I'm exhausted.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 5:09 PM

In my house that is totally unacceptable and life would be very difficult for a while.  If any of my kids disrespected an adult and a classroom like that no matter what the age they would be grounded.  I would also take everything away except for a bed and clothes.  No activities, video games, hanging out with friends, no tv.  I would take Halloween away and honestly I would be really tempted to take any Christmas presents away.  I know it sounds harsh and a lot of parents won't agree with me but that would be what I would do. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:16 PM

We don't celebrate Halloween. He doesn't care about video games or any of that. He doesn't really play with those. I guess toys

Quoting Anonymous 2:

In my house that is totally unacceptable and life would be very difficult for a while.  If any of my kids disrespected an adult and a classroom like that no matter what the age they would be grounded.  I would also take everything away except for a bed and clothes.  No activities, video games, hanging out with friends, no tv.  I would take Halloween away and honestly I would be really tempted to take any Christmas presents away.  I know it sounds harsh and a lot of parents won't agree with me but that would be what I would do. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:17 PM

He hasn't been this way the entire time and I have no clue how to discipline a child who does not respond to any type of discipline. He doesn't care about times outs, spankings, groundings.

he goes back and does the same thing over and over.

Quoting RazzledRainbows:

Doesn't matter if he's in the middle of evaluation or not. By 5, you should know what kind of disclipine works. In our house, for my youngest, I make him stand in the corner and (sometimes) tell him I am very disappointed in him.  I also use LOTS of positive reinforcements. If I see he is doing something great, or trying his hardest to use his speaking (he has issues with speech), he gets either a sticker, or can get .50cents for a surprise at lunchtime. He's 7, and it still works to this day.

My 9 year old has an attitude. I've found that taking something away, throwing something away, not being able to go somewhere special, laying on the bed until calm-really works. Again, positive reinforcement. Yesterday he had a GREAT day-he talked to a boy he wanted to be friends with, and opened his shell. Because of it, I told him he could invite the boy over and that I was proud of him. He's very physical and loves hugs and kisses, so he got several of them.

What all have you tried? And ignore any wrong spellings. I'm exhausted.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:25 PM

Idk, after reading your replies, you just sound like a lazy parent. Sorry your kid sucks, but it's prob the way you DONT teach him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:53 PM

You people are always so damn quick to blame the parents. Now when he's diagnosed with something

I'll make sure you let you know. Kid's aren't fucking robots.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Idk, after reading your replies, you just sound like a lazy parent. Sorry your kid sucks, but it's prob the way you DONT teach him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:56 PM

Instead of being so quick to make sure he is diagnosed with something, why not try parenting? Why not try getting off your fucking phone, computer, whatever and pay attention to your child. Thats the reason so many of these kids are fucked up today, because they have shitty ass parents who ignore them and would rather be wth some man than take care of their kid. Hes a nightmare because you didn't and ARENT raising him. Keep going to doctor to doctor to make sure he gets the diagnosis YOU want, so you can blame everything on that and-SHOCK-don't have to parent at all. Sad.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

You people are always so damn quick to blame the parents. Now when he's diagnosed with something

I'll make sure you let you know. Kid's aren't fucking robots.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)