Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would this annoy you? Daycare related.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

A three year old I care for went home yesterday and during the course of their evening, told her mother to "sense the tone."

Now, in my defense, I usually say it to one child, about another child.  

If one, this woman's child in particular, is getting into another child's personal space and the other child is telling them, repeatedly to give them space I will bend down and say "sense the tone, she doesn't want you in her face right now."

I've told it to all of the kids when the cat wandered into our area one day and hissed.  I said "sense the tone kids, she does not want to play."  and I picked her up and put her in "her" room and made sure our door was closed tight so she wouldn't get in again.

I've even said it to them about me before. "Sense the tone guys, I just need one minute to pee." 

Things like that.  Now, mom wasn't annoyed but it did get me thinking when she told me this morning, that maybe that's not the most respectful way to get a point across.  It was what my mom used to say to me when I was being a pain in the ass, and I guess it rubbed off.  This is the first time a child, that I know of, has gone home and said it to a parent. 

Would it annoy you as a parent?

I am going to try to break the habit of mine and not say it to the kids anymore, but I know I'll slip occasionally as I've been saying that particular phrase for 20 years or so. LOL

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:59 PM

I have never heard that saying before. I didn't even understand what it meant until I read some of your examples.

I guess it would depend on how it was used. The way it sounds to me, its kind of a learning phrase. Like figuring out what someone wants based on their tone of voice. I dont see how a child would use that towards a parent.

Salut123
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 3:04 PM

It is fine for a teacher to say to little kids, but not okay for a child to say to an adult. You are using it as a teaching tool. Toddlers should not be teaching their parents, thus it is disrespectful.

Salut123
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 3:05 PM

I often tell my kids"look at my face" I want them to be able to read body language. Same concept.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 3:05 PM
I would ask my kid what the hell he meant.
KatyPaigesMom46
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 3:22 PM

I would ask you about it, but I wouldn't find an issue with it. It's a way better way of telling someone to get out of your fix or leave you alone. It kinda also helps the kid to think a little before inserting themselves into someone else's space. I think you're a great teacher for useing this as a way to get the kids to understand personal space.

Dear Girls,

If a guy wants you to learn how to  play a game. It means you are the most important person in his life, and he needs a healer.

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)