Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The whole neighborhood saw me lose it

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 313 Replies
2 moms liked this
We were getting ready to leave for my daughter's parent teacher conference. I had the garage door open. The kids know they aren't supposed to open house doors without permission... But they did. I yelled "close the door!" Too late... Our lab mix ran out the door. I totally lost my cool. I yelled "God damnit!!" Told the girls to get in the house and not open the freaking door again. I run out to catch the dog. All of our neighbors were out and heard me yell and swear at my kids. I chased the dog around. He chased a rabbit up the street. I'm running, crying and trying to hold it together. The dog is running out in front of cars. One of my neighbors is helping. The others just stare at me like the asshole I was. My neighbor finally gets the dog to approach her and she nabs his collar.

She sweetly tells me it's ok. To calm down and to breath. I'm embarrassed, feel awful for yelling at my kids, and generally like a terrible mom, pet owner and person.

Then a neighbor leaves a note on my door when I get home from the conference that I was 20 minutes late for. It reads "you should be ashamed of how you spoke to your children. Get your dog under control. This is a nice neighborhood and we don't need people like you ruining the peace and quiet". I am ashamed, I am embarrassed... Now even more so. I apologized to my children for my reaction. We made pizzas together when we got home. We painted nails and read books together. I'm not a bad mom. I just had a bad moment.

No one could possibly know that the reason I was at a breaking point this morning is because I am worried sick about my 3 year olds blood test this afternoon. They are testing for a slew of things because her 3 year checkup showed a too high heart rate and that she has dropped significantly on her growth charts.

I hate that they all think the worst of me. I hate that my kids saw me that way. I hate myself right now. I hate that people can't just give you the benefit of the doubt.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:51 PM
10 moms liked this

We've all had our moments. You should see my old neighborhood in Brooklyn, someone is outside yelling on a daily basis lol Seriously, don't be so hard on yourself. Hope all goes well with the tests. 

anon10
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:52 PM
45 moms liked this

SCREW THE NEIGHBORS!  You are human and you reacted like a human.  

Take a breath and don't let it get you down.  This was ONE incident and that neighbor was extremely rude and judgmental for leaving that hateful note..

Good luck with everything!!!  I'll keep your lo in my prayers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:54 PM
6 moms liked this

We all have been there.  Those who say they haven't are lying or high as a kite/drunk.  Prayers for your little one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:54 PM
* lose

You should be ashamed. Yelling like a crazy person is ridiculous. Also , train your dog better and he wont run away.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:54 PM
It's not like you were beating them or something. They'll get over it. Busy bodies.

On a side note though, are you going to take your dog to a trainer? If he bolts at every opportunity this isn't going to be the last time he escaped especially with kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:54 PM
Thank you

Quoting anon10:

SCREW THE NEIGHBORS!  You are human and you reacted like a human.  

Take a breath and don't let it get you down.  This was ONE incident and that neighbor was extremely rude and judgmental for leaving that hateful note..

Good luck with everything!!!  I'll keep your lo in my prayers.

PoisonEyeV
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm really not seeing the big deal with how you reacted to the situation.

Salut123
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:56 PM

Use it as a wake up call to get your shit together.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:57 PM
We need to. He is 1 1/2. We've done basic training. But he is super excited and saw a rabbit. I'll be honest that we don't have the money right now. But for his safety we have to figure something out. For now I just need to leave the garage door closed till we are out of the house

Quoting Anonymous 4: It's not like you were beating them or something. They'll get over it. Busy bodies.

On a side note though, are you going to take your dog to a trainer? If he bolts at every opportunity this isn't going to be the last time he escaped especially with kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 2:57 PM
30 moms liked this

Why someone felt the need to anonmously (sp?) put a note on your door to "shame" you speaks volumes about them - not you.  We've all had those moments where we've lost our cool and are not proud of our actions.  All you can do is move on and promise yourself to do better next time.  You've apologized to your kids and everything is well in your household.  The "anon note sender" is the person with real issues. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)