Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you have a problem with teachers NOT grading papers?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 5:49 PM
  • 44 Replies

Ds is 6th grade which is first year middle school. His math/STEM/Science teacher (same for theses subjects) have students grade eachothers papers and just writes the answer key on board. My oldest has already caught some mistakes. When mistakes happen the kids are suppose to take the paper to the teacher who will then look at it. However in one instance the teacher did not have time at the moment and then it was not properly put to the computer grades.

Am I being overbearing or does this seem like not a good system. Aren't teachers grading part of their job? 

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my2kidsmom9498
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 5:53 PM
I would not be happy. They are in school for 6 hours, have at least one period for preparation. In my mind, that leaves 2 hours a day to grade on the district's dime.
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

That's how it was done when I was in school. I really don't see the issue.

Tannaris
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 5:55 PM
That's how we did it when I was in school. No biggie IMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 5:57 PM

I remember that when I was in school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I let my kids trade and grade. I teach 7th. But, I don't use it for a grade in the gradebook. It's usually independent practice we do in class. I use it just to see who needs extra help.

I have 110 students and a planning period. I don't have the time to grade 110 papers that are just for practice. Most days I don't even go to the restroom until the students have left. Teachers have more responsibilities than grading papers during planning. For example, today I had a meeting first, then made 2 phone calls to parents for failing students, I made a spreadsheet of all 110 students' IKAN scores to be passed out to their home room teachers (must be kept in their data notebook), I made a vocabulary quiz and an integer operations quiz for tomorrow, and I made a memory game on vocabulary that I will use for my intervention kids. My planning is 45 minutes. I still have a list of at least 10 things that need to be done before I leave tomorrow. Plus I will need to grade 220 quizzes before I leave work tomorrow.

It would take me my entire planning period to grade 110 practices on my own. There simply isn't time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:04 PM
How do you figure 2 hours?

Quoting my2kidsmom9498: I would not be happy. They are in school for 6 hours, have at least one period for preparation. In my mind, that leaves 2 hours a day to grade on the district's dime.
CABZS
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:07 PM
This is how we did it many times growing up, this is how my kids did it many times as well. I fail to see the big deal. If the teacher didn't have a chance to double check then the student goes the next day.

Kids need to learn to be responsible for their work and themselves and I have no issue with this.

Quoting boardwino:

Ds is 6th grade which is first year middle school. His math/STEM/Science teacher (same for theses subjects) have students grade eachothers papers and just writes the answer key on board. My oldest has already caught some mistakes. When mistakes happen the kids are suppose to take the paper to the teacher who will then look at it. However in one instance the teacher did not have time at the moment and then it was not properly put to the computer grades.

Am I being overbearing or does this seem like not a good system. Aren't teachers grading part of their job? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:08 PM
Bc she isn't a teacher and thinks they have all this time in the world.

OP your child should've just gone to the teacher the next day, you kid needs to learn to open his mouth. The grade can be changed.

Quoting Anonymous 2: How do you figure 2 hours?

Quoting my2kidsmom9498: I would not be happy. They are in school for 6 hours, have at least one period for preparation. In my mind, that leaves 2 hours a day to grade on the district's dime.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:09 PM
Two hours to grade? They have no other preparation for the school days? Wow people know so little of what teachers do.

boardwino
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:09 PM

Is it normal for their to be some mistakes? 

Because a couple of mistakes I can handle I just do not want them made throughout the year. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: I let my kids trade and grade. I teach 7th. But, I don't use it for a grade in the gradebook. It's usually independent practice we do in class. I use it just to see who needs extra help. I have 110 students and a planning period. I don't have the time to grade 110 papers that are just for practice. Most days I don't even go to the restroom until the students have left. Teachers have more responsibilities than grading papers during planning. For example, today I had a meeting first, then made 2 phone calls to parents for failing students, I made a spreadsheet of all 110 students' IKAN scores to be passed out to their home room teachers (must be kept in their data notebook), I made a vocabulary quiz and an integer operations quiz for tomorrow, and I made a memory game on vocabulary that I will use for my intervention kids. My planning is 45 minutes. I still have a list of at least 10 things that need to be done before I leave tomorrow. Plus I will need to grade 220 quizzes before I leave work tomorrow. It would take me my entire planning period to grade 110 practices on my own. There simply isn't time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)