Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WTH is your problem with home made gifts?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 245 Replies
10 moms liked this
I see it on here a lot; people scorning home made gifts and declaring them "crappy". I think this gift card craze is ridiculous. All it says is that the person you're giving it to is just a name on a list to spend money on. You don't give any thought to what they might like; you're not willing to put in the effort to craft something by hand; you just don't really care about them.

My sister shared on FB that her kids have gotten into Pokemon. She almost acted like I was crazy when I suggested I would actually be MAKING some stuffed character dolls instead of just hopping on a website and randomly picking a couple characters to buy. She later backed it up with some valid concerns (they have a puppy that chews and he recently tore up one of the boys favorite stuffed animals).

I just think that if you're not willing to put in the time and energy to to do more than throw money at someone as a gift, they probably shouldn't be on your gift list.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
morgansboys
by Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:07 PM
4 moms liked this

I think homemade gifts are wonderful, but I'm not a very artsy person lol.

quinnhenrysmom1
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:08 PM
2 moms liked this

eh,buy me a gift card..

PoisonEyeV
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Depending on what they are, homemade gifts can be nice...but most of the time they go unused or end up in the trash. I guess I'm an oddball because I LOVE gift cards.

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:09 PM
5 moms liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:10 PM
5 moms liked this
You don't have to be artsy. There are a lot of things that can be done for home made gifts. My aunt loves hot cocoa. She drinks a cup every morning. I worked out a delicious cocoa recipe and gave a huge canister of it to her as a present.

Quoting morgansboys:

tklrcl2014
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:10 PM
5 moms liked this

I personally love home made gifts, I always feel that the person doing the making must really love and care for me/my kids/my family because of the time and effort that goes into making them. Not to mention the cost of material that can sometimes TRIPLE the cost of store bought items.

Jadegirl1819
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:10 PM
4 moms liked this

I freaking LOVE homemade gifts.  My favorite gift last year was a hat and scarf that a friend knitted for me.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:11 PM
2 moms liked this
I like gifts my kids make. A picture frame with a student, not so much. I won't display someone else's kid in my home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Every homemade gift I've received has ended up in the trash. If you could figure out something I will actually use, that can be handmade, I would love it. When I give a gift card, I give something personal with it.
morgansboys
by Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:12 PM

That is very true. Your hot cocoa idea is super thoughtful and really cool too,

Quoting Anonymous 1: You don't have to be artsy. There are a lot of things that can be done for home made gifts. My aunt loves hot cocoa. She drinks a cup every morning. I worked out a delicious cocoa recipe and gave a huge canister of it to her as a present.
Quoting morgansboys:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)