Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why so mean? Moms of boys please help

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:22 PM
  • 72 Replies
This is my first boy. He's almost 2. I have an 8 year old daughter that for the most part is a good girl, always has been. Even as a toddler.
But my son is a different story. Beyond the typical toddler stuff he is mean. Not all the time, most of the time he is my sweet little guy. But the rest of the time he is pinching (his newest) hitting, scratching & kicking. Not just me, also his dad, his sister, the dog & the poor cat. Usually out of anger when he doesn't get his way but sometimes he's laughing while doing it. I'm getting so frustrated & feeling bad for his sister & even more for the pets. Luckily they are saints & never fight him back. I feel like I've tried everything & it seems to be getting worse. I don't want to be a punching bag anymore. Any tips or tricks? Or just tell me it will get better!
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bumblebutt
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:23 PM

Nope. have nothing for you. Hope it gets better soon! 

photo B_zpsd06nmv1b.png

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:23 PM

Why are you asking for moms of boys to help? 

Are you saying he's an asshole because he has a penis?

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:24 PM
I have three kids, my oldest is a girl and my two younger ones are boys

My one year old hits and scratches wayyyy more than I can remember with my older two.

All I can do is tell him no, be gentle and set him down if I am holding him.

At age 2, I would do time outs.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much more can be done at this age? Perhaps reading some books as well that have to do with no hitting.
Nbebemakes4
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:25 PM
No, I know assholes without penises. Just because my daughter is so different maybe it's a boy thing? I don't know

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:26 PM
2 moms liked this
It's not a boy thing it's a personality thing. My boys aren't like that. You must use consistent discipline each and every time he gets physical. You also tell him "we don't pinch, bite, hit. We use gentle touches."

He'll outgrow it as long as he knows it will not be tolerated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:26 PM
8 moms liked this
You've kindly proven that assholes have no gender.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Nbebemakes4
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:27 PM
Time outs have been difficult. I would need a cage to actually make it work but I will keep trying. He loves to read so maybe I can find a book that will help. Thanks for the idea :)

Quoting iamcafemom83: I have three kids, my oldest is a girl and my two younger ones are boys

My one year old hits and scratches wayyyy more than I can remember with my older two.

All I can do is tell him no, be gentle and set him down if I am holding him.

At age 2, I would do time outs.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much more can be done at this age? Perhaps reading some books as well that have to do with no hitting.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I think all children go through an aggressive phase as toddlers, that's normal. Just seperate your son from whoever he's being aggressive with and punish him consistently. Explain that violence isn't acceptable and he will get the message.
NinjaDeathKitty
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:28 PM

Burn! Lol. 

Quoting iamcafemom83: You've kindly proven that assholes have no gender.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

krazymom2boyz
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:29 PM
2 moms liked this
It sounds like a couple of different problems. For the angry reactions, he needs a better outlet for those emotions. Boys are very physical about almost everything. So give him ways to express his anger without using violence. For the "happy" violence make it clear each and every single time that that behavior is unacceptable and remove him from the situation. If he continues after that he's not to ypung for a time out. No longer than 1 minute per year of life. When you talk to him don't yell, gwt down on his level, and keep reiterating his behavior is unacceptable. Good Luck! It does get easier, I promise!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)