Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do I file for divorce?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:33 PM
  • 8 Replies
My DH walked out on DS and I Tuesday he refuses to talk to me and see DS.

He's on drugs and isn't thinking properly regardless I want the divorce. He nor I can afford a lawyer so I need to do it on my own.

Any advice? What papers for child support?
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Elle.tea.22
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:34 PM
Call a lawyer and let them take care ofnit
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:37 PM
My lawyer is doing it for us for $710. No fault divorce. We filed and will be divorced in 31 days. I wouldn't try to do something as important as custody agreements on my own: some things are worth the money.
Kaybean
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:40 PM
Not sure about this since I've never been divorced, but in my state, if you can prove you don't have the income for a lawyer or for filing for a divorce, you can go to the local government center and fill out a low income from and a judge can waive all or most of the legal fees for you.
maestros18
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 5:45 PM
What state are you in?

Quoting Kaybean: Not sure about this since I've never been divorced, but in my state, if you can prove you don't have the income for a lawyer or for filing for a divorce, you can go to the local government center and fill out a low income from and a judge can waive all or most of the legal fees for you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2015 at 5:48 PM

Find a lawyer and borrow money to pay him if you have to.  Some take payment plans as well.  Divorces can sometimes take time and you can make arrangements to pay something out of your paycheck every week. 

It will be worth it to have proper legal advice and representation.

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Oct. 9, 2015 at 5:51 PM
In my state, you can go to the child support office & file for support & you can go to the law library in the court house & they will give you the papers to file for divorce. You may need a lawyer for the divorce though if you think there's going to be a fight but you can at least get it started.
blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 5:52 PM
Go to legal aid.
Kaybean
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 10:42 PM
MN

Quoting maestros18: What state are you in?

Quoting Kaybean: Not sure about this since I've never been divorced, but in my state, if you can prove you don't have the income for a lawyer or for filing for a divorce, you can go to the local government center and fill out a low income from and a judge can waive all or most of the legal fees for you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)