Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Changing faith....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
Has anyone converted to their partners faith? I'm Pagan, my partner is Christian...my partner didn't ask this of me, but I know how important his faith is to him, I'm willing to consider it. Advice, opinions, anything is welcome.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kodysmommy928
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:50 PM
My brother converted to Greek Orthdox for his wife. It was a huge undertaking.
SpiritedWitch
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:54 PM

You have to ask yourself WHY are you willing to change. Are you unhappy in your current faith? Are you doing for yourself or just for him? 

I am against changing faiths for someone else b/c it never ends well. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:56 PM
I won't deny I hadn't thought of this prior to him, I've always been quite pleased with my faith. That said my child is also Christian and loves church. I have no qualms with church outside of waking up early on my only day off. Lol

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

You have to ask yourself WHY are you willing to change. Are you unhappy in your current faith? Are you doing for yourself or just for him? 

WaterorWine
by Wino on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:57 PM
If it isn't in your heart it isn't legitimate.

I'm a Christian, my husband was agnostic before we married. He converted on his own after talking to me about religion and God A LOT.

I would ask him questions and read the bible to see if it calls to you. I suggest you begin with Matthew.
Gorilla_Mama
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:58 PM
Personally I would change my beliefs just for someone else's comfort. If they introduced me to it and it felt right that's different.

I'm agnostic and my Dh is Christian.
bcoll
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:04 PM
We are Greek Orthodox.
(Op I was raised protestant and converted)

Quoting Kodysmommy928: My brother converted to Greek Orthdox for his wife. It was a huge undertaking.
SpiritedWitch
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:06 PM

You just have to make sure it is what you want and that you are not doing for someone else b/c in the end, you know you have to walk your own path. 

I used to be Christian and I have quite a few issues with churches but that aside, being Christian isn't just going to church, as I am sure you know. 

Good luck on whichever path you choose to walk down. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: I won't deny I hadn't thought of this prior to him, I've always been quite pleased with my faith. That said my child is also Christian and loves church. I have no qualms with church outside of waking up early on my only day off. Lol
Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2015 at 11:58 PM
I don't really have any questions. I grew up Christian. I've read the bible dozens of times. Personally I don't agree with it, but I know many Christians don't. It was created by man, even if it is truly in God's words, man wouldn't be capable of comprehension. At least that is my opinion on it.

I have many faiths in my heart. I find them all at least slightly true and all beautiful.

Quoting WaterorWine: If it isn't in your heart it isn't legitimate.

I'm a Christian, my husband was agnostic before we married. He converted on his own after talking to me about religion and God A LOT.

I would ask him questions and read the bible to see if it calls to you. I suggest you begin with Matthew.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2015 at 12:00 AM
It's really not about his comfort. He is perfectly fine with me being Pagan. It need not be introduced, I was raised in the church.

Quoting Gorilla_Mama: Personally I would change my beliefs just for someone else's comfort. If they introduced me to it and it felt right that's different.

I'm agnostic and my Dh is Christian.
SSwtP
by on Oct. 9, 2015 at 12:07 AM

Good luck in your decision, just figure out what faith means to you, and if his would satisfy that more than yours. 

I did change.  DHs faith is a "lighter" version of my previous one.  I hate feeling like a hypocrite, so that helped as they have very archaic values that I'm sure 90% of the faith doesn't follow a lot of.  Also, before we got married the church we went to that was my former faith treated DH like a leper and wouldn't even look him in the eye.  MEanwhile, the church he had gone to welcomed us with open arms. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)