Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grandma's New Boyfriend

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
So this is a little random but I just want to see if I'm thinking rationally here. My mother started dating this guy a few months ago and she's really happy with him. He seems very nice, has teenage daughters, and is currently getting divorced. I've only met him a few times but my little ones seem to like him. He has a very soft spoken voice so I guess it would be comforting in a way for children.

Well last time we were out at dinner, my mother asked my two year old to give him a kiss on the lips and I kind of cringed when they did. She's turning this whole kissing thing into a regular habit and I'm a little uncomfortable with it because I hardly know this guy, much less where his lips have been...? I know it probably seems silly but it just seems weird to watch my little ones kiss someone we hardly know. I want to bring it up with my mom but she is the type to overreact and take it personally. I don't want to upset her so I'm kind of lost as to what to do. Open to suggestions.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2015 at 6:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 6:32 AM
Why did your mom insist on the lips? We have no issues kissing on the mouth but it seems odd to insist on mouth kissing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 6:34 AM
Teach her to fist bump instead. That's really weird. Or tell them you are a germaphobe when it comes to your daughter and you don't want her sick. Let's keep it to a quick hug.
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 6:35 AM

she actually said give him a kiss on the lips ? If so your mom is weird. I can see him saying would it be OK to give you a hug but thats it. Since you dont want to talk to mom about and didnt suggest how about a kiss on the cheek when it was 1st brought up, I think you have to let it go. IF your girls fuss or say anything that leads you to think they dont want to let them know they dont have to kiss anyone.

SergeantSausage
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 6:38 AM
It's not silly at all and I would say something for sure. If she gets upset, so be it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 6:38 AM
That's really strange of your monther.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 6:39 AM
Speak up!
blessed107
by Diamond Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 6:41 AM
I would have spoke up right then and there. Tell your mom, if she wants to kiss him, that's fine, but my child won't be kissing him on the lips period.
amje
by Maynard's Bitch on Oct. 26, 2015 at 6:43 AM
If you ask and encourage (or allow another adult to cajole them into it) your kids to kiss and hug whether they feel comfortable doing it or not, it sets a precedent for how they should behave if a sick and twisted adult encourages them to touch him or her, whether your kids want to or not.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2015 at 6:46 AM
Wow, that's a really good point. I never thought of it like that.

Quoting amje: If you ask and encourage (or allow another adult to cajole them into it) your kids to kiss and hug whether they feel comfortable doing it or not, it sets a precedent for how they should behave if a sick and twisted adult encourages them to touch him or her, whether your kids want to or not.
Marie207
by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 6:48 AM

You are good because I would have stopped that as soon as she suggested it.  Just simply say, we don't kiss our kids in the mouth, there.  Poor granma, at a grandma age and don't know about messing with a married man, wow.  You are so right, no telling where his lips go cause if he meesing with your grandman on his wife, she ain't the only one.  lol  lol  good luck and keep him off your kids.  About to not be married is not good enough.  They all live in their marriages there, about to.     

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)