Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

taking kids out of school for....

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:05 AM
  • 48 Replies
The other post got me thinking.

When I was in the second grade my mom took me out of school early so we could go see mouse hunt in theaters it was a complete surprise to me and still one of my favorite memories.

My oldest is in the second grade now and I plan to do the same thing. When my other kids are in second grade I plan to do it with them too.

If you knew there wasn't anything super important going on at school, would you take them out to create a memory and possible family tradition?
by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I have no problem with it.

fallenangel_353
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:08 AM
Of course. Perfect attendance isn't important to me. As long as there haven't been many sicknesses or too many days lost then a family/mental day is completely ok. This is assuming the child attends school without missing much and has good grades. Family time is just as important.
Jblb
by Emerald Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:08 AM
I take dd out of school for fun, a lot. Last week I took my daughter out to vote. The teacher told me, "she wished every child got to go vote, with their parents."
Jblb
by Emerald Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:11 AM
One of my husbands 'claim to fame' is that he NEVER missed a day of school, from K-12. I really didn't believe him, until MIL showed me his report cards.

Quoting fallenangel_353: Of course. Perfect attendance isn't important to me. As long as there haven't been many sicknesses or too many days lost then a family/mental day is completely ok. This is assuming the child attends school without missing much and has good grades. Family time is just as important.
Angelbabii407
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:11 AM
I do this a few times a year. I work long hours often, so it's important that I spent some one on one time with ds. My parents NEVER let us mis school, no matter how stressed we were. I hated it.
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:13 AM

Yes I did often. I would take them out on one of the first warm days in June and go to the beach. I would take them out if we had an extremely busy weekend and I wanted to just have lunch and some 1 on 1 time. I took then out for various reasons.

RocknRoll.Rose
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:14 AM
As long as it is a rare thing. When the twins were little and I was working so many hours, my oldest (then 11) complained one night that he never got to spend time with me anymore. A few days later, I got off work early and, instead of getting the little one from daycare, I checked him out of school early and we went to lunch and a movie. On one hand, I think kids should be in school unless there is a legitimate reason but I don't have a problem with it sometimes, as long as the child hasn't missed a ridiculous amount of days and they have high grades. I also let him miss a day when we had our cocker spaniel put down so that he could say goodbye.
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't take my children out of school for a movie. That's what the weekend is for.
fallenangel_353
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:16 AM
My dad was always uptight about attendance. He hated that my step mom would check me out of school twice a year for a lunch/mall date. We had to hear about how regardless rain snow or sickness he walked miles to school and never missed. You'd think he was 80 by the way he talks lol.

Quoting Jblb: One of my husbands 'claim to fame' is that he NEVER missed a day of school, from K-12. I really didn't believe him, until MIL showed me his report cards.

Quoting fallenangel_353: Of course. Perfect attendance isn't important to me. As long as there haven't been many sicknesses or too many days lost then a family/mental day is completely ok. This is assuming the child attends school without missing much and has good grades. Family time is just as important.
pooh2you1985
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:18 AM
No I don't. At the end of the year or close to it we miss one day for a mental health day. But other than that no we don't miss school
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)