Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I never realized how messed up slang is

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:52 AM
  • 15 Replies
My son was watching tv with me. Hes sick and spending the day with me.

Anyway,the teenage girl asked for a car and was Told it was a certain number of bucks. My son knows a buck is a boy deer, so I had to explain a buck also means dollar.
Then the girl said she was broke. My son was again confused and I had to explqin that broke also means no money.

I didnt realize all the double meanings before, lol

Have you ever had to explain these?
by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:54 AM

lol. Slang is way more messed up than that. And... no. my kids don't really pay attention... yet.

my3girls201410
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:55 AM
No because they know what buck and broke means
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:55 AM
My boyfriend is Australian... Their slang makes NO sense
theTosh.O
by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:58 AM
Whow old are they? My son is 5 and either has never encountered those words or doesnt pay attention.

Quoting my3girls201410: No because they know what buck and broke means
eyes4ears
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 9:00 AM
I can't really remember explaining slang words to my children.
fallenangel_353
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 9:00 AM
My son came in the other day and he was very sweaty. I told him it was odd that his sweat smelled like mothballs. He looked at me and told me I was sick and how could I know what moth balls smelled like because they would have to be very tiny. He is 10 btw. I had to explain to him what mothballs were lol. I know that's not slang, but still just funny.
my3girls201410
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 9:01 AM
5, 6 and 7. I speak slang sometimes and they know what it means

Quoting theTosh.O: Whow old are they? My son is 5 and either has never encountered those words or doesnt pay attention.

theTosh.O
by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 9:03 AM
Oh ok. I dont use slang

Quoting my3girls201410: 5, 6 and 7. I speak slang sometimes and they know what it means

Quoting theTosh.O: Whow old are they? My son is 5 and either has never encountered those words or doesnt pay attention.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 9:05 AM
Other than newly made up slang (like from pop culture), my kids picked up on meanings from context and I didn't have to explain.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Omg that's hilarious. A few years ago when my son was around 5, I was having a conversation with my DH and explaining to him what aspergers was. Right after I said the word aspergers, my son says " mmmmmmm ass burgers". I damn near died laughing lol.

Quoting fallenangel_353: My son came in the other day and he was very sweaty. I told him it was odd that his sweat smelled like mothballs. He looked at me and told me I was sick and how could I see what moth balls looked like because they would have to be very tiny. He is 10 btw. I had to explain to him what mothballs were lol. I know that's not slang, but still just funny.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)