Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone Else Have Nightmares From An Abusive Past?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

If you have nightmares about a certain part of your life is that PTSD?

I lived with my "mother" when DS was born. She was extremely abusive to me, calling me fat, ugly, slut, whore, bitch on a regular basis, attempting to turn my son against me and telling me no man would ever want me unless it was to molest my son. I finally got out of that situation back in March when I moved in with SO. When she found out about SO (who I had to sneak around to date) she attempted to track him down and his ex wife to "make him" break up with me or "make his ex wife make him break up with me" by telling them all sorts of untrue things about me, but she wasn't smart enough to track either down.

Needless to say she's out of our lives completely but I do have nightmares probably once or twice a week. The nightmares are about having to live with her again and having to be in that same situation of abuse again. It's horrible. I always wake up and realize pretty quickly that I'm safe now, but that doesn't stop the nightmares.

Does anyone else experience this?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2015 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 9:48 AM
Maybe you should try some therapy? I am sorry you went through that and glad that you got away.
bonnie333
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 9:55 AM
My ex was very abusive. I had nightmares so bad that they would wake people up. I had those for years. I do suggest therapy. I hardly have nightmares anymore but ive been with my fiancee for 3 years now. It took a long time to realize i was safe and quit having them. I also made him wake me up if i was having them so i think that helped with me feeling safe.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 9:55 AM

I used to. My husband still ocassionally does. He has PTSD from war. I have PTSD from a brother being abusive.

You need to start acknowledging it happened. That you won't allow it to happen ever again no matter what. So when you wake up acknowledge this was your past, not your present nor your future. Feel the feelings and let them go. Try therapy too if necessary. EMDR helps with PTSD because it gets both sides of the brain engaged to help process what happened.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 9:59 AM
I did but now I just dream that he gets run over by a bus over and over again and even those are now few and far between.
WesAndNicksMom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 9:59 AM
There's more to it than that. Take a test online and give your therapist or Doctor the results. I had two very traumatic events within a year of each other and I'm starting to think I have it. I don't have nightmares about it but I have horrible anxiety now and regular panic attacks (never had those before) and there are certain things that trigger memories which usually leads to a panic attack within 48 hours. Everybody has different symptoms though. You should talk to a professional about it though. Good sleep is important so at the very least it would be good to figure out what will make the dreams less often. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)