Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

(Scary?) Question for anyone well-versed in the Bible

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

So. Yesterday I was recalling the backmasking of "Stairway to Heaven" where Satan and 666 is mentioned. I knew that 666 was the mark of the devil (or the Beast or the Antichrist or maybe even Emperor Nero, depending on where you look), but I wondered why. Why those numbers? I could not find answers after research, just reiteration that the numbers are the mark. Does anyone have the answer? No disrespect, I'm genuinely curious.

(I also found out that the fear of the numbers is called Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia. Say that three times fast.)

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
vamaria
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:09 AM

I think it is from Revelation 13:18.

How would you even pronounce that??? :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Okay! And is there another verse that explains why it's "the number of man"?

And funny, I just looked up the pronounciation and it's just every Greek word seperated, as if that helps!

Quoting vamaria:

vamaria
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Not really, no. God has specific number preferences, such as 7 and 40, which occur throughout scripture and are used for specific purposes, but this is the only 666 reference. People have been trying to figure it out for the last 2,000 years with no success. 

LOL at the Greek words.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

And funny, I just looked up the pronounciation and it's just every Greek word seperated, as if that helps!

Quoting vamaria:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Wow I didn't know that! 2000 years and nobody knows?!

I was discussing the fear with my husband and he admitted that when he saw an invoice at work that had 666 together like $336.66 it made him uncomfortable. I'm not Christian or Catholic like him but I felt the same. But If I'm going to be scared of something I want to know what it is! That's why I started looking. Apparently I am 2000 years late to the party.

Quoting vamaria:

Not really, no. God has specific number preferences, such as 7 and 40, which occur throughout scripture and are used for specific purposes, but this is the only 666 reference. People have been trying to figure it out for the last 2,000 years with no success. 

LOL at the Greek words.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting vamaria:

2babymomma
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:26 AM
I don't think it is specifically stated in the bible. But I think it says 2/3 of the population is going to hell.
vamaria
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:34 AM

It makes me uncomfortable, too. But I think the number itself probably stands for something else, as a symbol. Revelation is written in the form of a play, and there is a lot of symbolism. If it helps, here are the two relevant verses.

17and he provides that no one will be able to buy or to sell, except the one who has the mark, either the name of the beast or the number of his name. 18Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for the number is that of a man; and his number is six hundred and sixty-six.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Wow I didn't know that! 2000 years and nobody knows?!

I was discussing the fear with my husband and he admitted that when he saw an invoice at work that had 666 together like $336.66 it made him uncomfortable. I'm not Christian or Catholic like him but I felt the same. But If I'm going to be scared of something I want to know what it is! That's why I started looking. Apparently I am 2000 years late to the party.

Quoting vamaria:

LOL at the Greek words.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting vamaria:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Makes me wonder if 2/3 of the population at the time was 666 people then...?

Quoting 2babymomma: I don't think it is specifically stated in the bible. But I think it says 2/3 of the population is going to hell.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)