Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas swap issues! UGG!

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:23 AM
  • 41 Replies

Seriously I don't know what to do.. My family swaps names for the adults.. No problem there! BUT.. Here is the issue.. I am expected to pay for gifts for each child.. SO THERE IS 11 kids.. There is a $20 spending requirement.. YA! $220 DOLLARS just to attend our family christmas gathering. Now here is the problem. I have already bought the gifts for these kids.. Now they are talking about UPPING the limit to 40 dollars.. which effectively doubles the amount and I just seriously DO NOT have the money! So now my choices are A) Speak up tell everyone I can't do it.. and have several of the cousins rub it in my face how they are so much more financially able than I am.. or... B) Take all the other gifts back and just not go and use that money to buy my kids stuff to make up for what they would have gotten.. BTW.. My boys only got maybe 100 dollars each spent on them for this upcoming Christmas.. So it would make their Christmas a lot merrier... kwim??

by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:24 AM

nuh uh! I would have to bow out of that situation. That is crazy!!!!! :/ I would say sorry, but Christmas isn't all about gifts and money. 

Spare.Time
by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:25 AM
3 moms liked this

I would never buy gifts for 11 children.  If I was expected to I would opt out of the gathering.

luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:25 AM
It's a limit, doesn't mean you have to spend that much.

Keep what you e already gotten, if the adults have an issue its the adults problem and not yours.
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:26 AM
3 moms liked this

exactly, I'm so sorry to hurt feelings, but Christmas is about MY kids. Call me selfish.

Quoting Spare.Time:

I would never buy gifts for 11 children.  If I was expected to I would opt out of the gathering.

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:27 AM

Be honest tell them no that you can not financially do it and they either leave it at $20 or you all pick names evenly and then everyone is only responsible for a few kids if they want the amt. upped. 

mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:28 AM
Just tell them that you are not participating in the swap this year. Blame it on having too many toys and adopt a needy family for Christmas. You can still go to the gathering. Gifts should be optional.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:28 AM
I wouldn't go or I would tell them I have already purchased the gifts and It will have to do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:28 AM
2 moms liked this

They seriously have a minimum spending requirement? I'd be done with that nonsense in a heartbeat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:28 AM

I would not attend that Christmas event,  it's ridiculous that you are required to spend an a minimum amount of money to enjoy the privilege of being with your family.

Gorilla_Mama
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this
If you're worried about being embarrassed skip telling them you don't have the money and just say you already did your shopping.

Although I would protest a $40 minimum. That's crazy. My family has always done a $20 maximum. Maybe suggest they do a $20 min to $40 max range
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)