Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son's school wants him to eat more

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies

Now mind you my son is NOT skinny (not fat but not skinny). He is 3ft 6inches. He weighs 49 pounds. He also has a limited diet due to bowel issues which also means he needs to eat small meals. Now that said we got a note from the school today telling us that what we send for a snack (an apple) along with the snack they give him (another fruit or veggie) is "not enough" because he is "still hungry". This child will eat and eat and eat and eat if you let him and NOT STOP. He is ALWAYS hungry and that we need to send more food with him. so what do they want him to be a blimp? 

answers to some questions

A he is 4 years old

B he is only in school 2.5 hours. 

C he is in the 97.87 percentile in the height to weight area. He has to wear elastic pants because what fits him length wise wont go around him (In part this is due to the bloating he gets when he eats the wrong food)

D He ALREADY eats 2 snacks in that 2.5 hours!

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2015 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Molz09
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 12:17 PM
4 moms liked this
Send in a doctors note saying he has medical issues that require a specific diet (including portion sizes)

Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Oct. 26, 2015 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this
It's absurd to me that schools make these kinds of requests.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2015 at 12:21 PM

I am going to but I should not HAVE to. It should be up to the parent what to feed their child. My son is 4 and is only in the school half a day. he is their at 8:30 and gone at 11.  He does not need to pig out. 

EDIT: he is in the public pre-school

Quoting Molz09: Send in a doctors note saying he has medical issues that require a specific diet (including portion sizes)

BaronSamedi
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Not that unusual.  A university bullied a girl for being under weight until she  got a lawyer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2015 at 12:24 PM

I agree. Hell they even want the middle schoolers to have "snack". I was sending my older son to school with lunch and they would allow him to eat the entire lunch for snack then charge another lunch! When I told them to stop they said NO because he said he was HUNGRY and would not deny him food!! (Mind you he got a sandwich, a fruit or veggie, a "treat", a drink and a cheese stick.)

Quoting Ted1242: It's absurd to me that schools make these kinds of requests.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2015 at 12:25 PM

my son is in pre-school (public), and OVERweight.

Quoting BaronSamedi:

Not that unusual.  A university bullied a girl for being under weight until she  got a lawyer.

Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Oct. 26, 2015 at 12:26 PM
How odd. I'd be livid. That adds up quickly.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I agree. Hell they even want the middle schoolers to have "snack". I was sending my older son to school with lunch and they would allow him to eat the entire lunch for snack then charge another lunch! When I told them to stop they said NO because he said he was HUNGRY and would not deny him food!! (Mind you he got a sandwich, a fruit or veggie, a "treat", a drink and a cheese stick.)

Quoting Ted1242: It's absurd to me that schools make these kinds of requests.

Careeka22
by Caitlin on Oct. 26, 2015 at 12:26 PM

What is he eating for breakfast before he goes? My DD is 4 and is the exact same way, hungry 24/7. She has even said she is hungry WHILE eating, I swear it's a reflex now for her to just say it. However there is no reason your son should need more for that very short amount of time. Breakfast and 2 snack is PLENTY before 11am. He just needs to channel his concentrations elsewhere.

SnappleQueen
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Get a note from a doctor. Problem solved. 

SlaJack
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 12:28 PM

Not sure his age.  I would tell my son to stop wining to his teachers that he is hungry.  The only reason they would be notifying you is if he was complaining to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)