Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sil won't let my mother in law be around her kids alone anymore

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies
I think this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard

Mil likes to take the kids out on little dates to spend time with them. She's religious and it's no secret. Sil and bil are atheists and have asked her to not discuss religion with them. However it's so much a part of her personality I don't know how they realistically expect that

Anyway she took my niece and nephew, 6 and 9, pumpkin picking 2 Saturdays ago. On the way home the 6yo said they were going to their uncle mikes wedding next weekend. Knowing no one has a sibling named Mike she asked who he was. Basically he's sils gay friend and he's marrying "uncle David"

Mil wasn't thinking and told the kids that was wrong, they should never do such a thing because being gay can have you sent to hell. She then explained what hell was, since the kids had no idea. The kids told sil when they got home and she flipped. She told mil she's never taking the kids alone again.

It's been 2 weeks now and since sil and bil weren't free to be around when she wanted to see them, she hasn't seen them in 2 weeks. Personally I think this is the overreaction of the century.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2015 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that I she can't keep her mouth shut, she doesn't need to have the kids alone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 1:08 PM

this has already been posted almost word for word.

alexmom529
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 1:08 PM

I have read this before. Either way it is not an over reaction. She told her not to discuss her religious beliefs to the kids and she did anyway. I would react the same way. Maybe she wants to raise the kids to be accepting of all people, not just "Christians".

DJsmama34
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 1:09 PM

sil has a right act the way she did. she specifically asked mil not to talk about religion and she did it anyway. if she cant respect their wishes then they have the right to tell her shes not seeing the kids alone

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 1:09 PM
I don't. It's their kids. Now the kids are probably gonna go to their uncles and say they are going to hell bc grandma said so. Idc what religion you are, what you believe in, but when you put that doubt in my child's head, we'll have problems. I HAD a friend who didn't believe in interracial couples, told ds it was wrong that I'm a white woman and dating a black guy. As if a black guy is the scum of the earth. I know there are people like that, but my 4 year old didn't need to know that, at that age.
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 1:09 PM
That's a pretty major oversight. I wouldn't be thrilled with someone who ignored my explicit request to avoid a particular topic with my kids either. It's not like they asked her why she reads a Bible or wears a cross necklace; she offered unsolicited commentary.
Talkingheads
by Emerald Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Its absolutely not overr reacting. It's a classic case of the grandparent overstepping their bounds and undermining the parental authority. She reaps what she sows

two4one
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

YEah, I wouldn't leave them alone with her either.

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Oct. 26, 2015 at 1:09 PM
I'm with SIL. Your MIL was way out of line.
kris1stbaby
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 1:09 PM
I agree with the SIL
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)