Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this excessive to you?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
My ds's birthday is days before Christmas, so I've been preparing for both. He will be 4. I am spending roughly about 325 dollars for all of his gifts. I havent decided what he's getting for which yet.
My in laws made me feel bad when we told them what we've got. They think its too much. He's my only child, and we aren't rich by any means, but I save up all year to make sure he has a great Christmas AND birthday.

The last couple years he's not gotten much because a few people will do the combined gift. So I try to make sure he gets a good haul from us at the very least.....Am I wrong for that? Is it too much?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2015 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2015 at 5:39 PM
Bump
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 5:39 PM
I think that's totally reasonable. I spend about a hundred on birthdays and about two hundred on Christmas, so my kids get a similar amount.
SDmomma-3
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
You're fine hun!
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Oct. 26, 2015 at 5:40 PM
Doesn't sound excessive to me.
almburr
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 5:40 PM
Do what you want. I have one on the 11th one on the 13th of December and Dh is the 28th of December. They make out like bandits.
Bigmetalchicken
by Emerald Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Your inlaws can kick rocks. Not their money, not their problem.

Molz09
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 5:41 PM
Nah you're totally fine.
rachellaree20
by Rachel on Oct. 26, 2015 at 5:41 PM

If it's not putting you behind on other bills or something then it doesn't sound excessive.  Now if you skipped paying your electric bill and ended up short on rent to buy bday and christmas presents and had to borrow money or something I can see how they may think it's excessive.  But it doesn't sound like that's the case so don't worry about what they think :-)

KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Oct. 26, 2015 at 5:41 PM
Sounds legit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not their business what gifts you choose to buy for your child so their opinion doesn't matter. My opinion on it doesn't matter either... Some people spend more, some less. If you feel comfortable spending that amount then go for it. Unless you can't pay your house bill because of it then I don't see a problem.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)