Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I wrong to keep her from technology??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies

I see a lot of parents are really into technology for their kids. Their little ones have laptops and iPads, some even seem to have their own phones. I always see kids playing on cell phones or iPads in public places. We made it a rule when our first was real little that we wouldn't use phones to distract them, no matter how much easier it makes things. Because we had stared doing it and we saw how obsessed she had become with it. As soon as we left the house, the first question she would ask was to play a game on our phones. So we just completely stopped from there on out. Eventually she just stopped asking, she's 7 now and we don't really need it anyways. We also do not let her use our iPads or play on the computer. Even though we do, I feel like there are better things she could be doing, like reading, playing with her toys or playing outside. We don't really put any restrictions on TV, but she doesn't usually sit in front of it much anyways.

Am I hindering her by not allowing her to use technology? They do use computers at school, so I can't imagine it would be too much of a problem. I was just thinking about it though, considering how technology heavy our society is.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
talipa
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:39 PM
My daughter doesn't have any electronics of her own either. She does use them at school, too, so at least they have some experience with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:40 PM
Yes
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this
You're putting her behind the curve with her peers. Technology is here to stay, shielding her from something that she WILL have to utilize is handicapping her.

Elementary school aged children have paper free classrooms now. My 7yo takes tests and does classroom assignments on computers and tablets.
girlie2
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this
This. I let my kids use the iPad for educational games and use is timed.

Quoting Danesmommy1: You're putting her behind the curve with her peers. Technology is here to stay, shielding her from something that she WILL have to utilize is handicapping her.

Elementary school aged children have paper free classrooms now. My 7yo takes tests and does classroom assignments on computers and tablets.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:44 PM
My son was making power point presentations for school in first grade
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:44 PM

Quoting Danesmommy1: You're putting her behind the curve with her peers. Technology is here to stay, shielding her from something that she WILL have to utilize is handicapping her. Elementary school aged children have paper free classrooms now. My 7yo takes tests and does classroom assignments on computers and tablets.

Her school isn't like that at all lol. It's definitely not that advanced and their computer center is full of older desktop computers from like 2000, with the big monitors. They just use it to access reading programs for free time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:44 PM

So she should have her own computer?? 

AvantGardener
by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:47 PM

People will tell you that you are, but I disagree. My kids are 5 and 7 and until this year had very little exposure to technology. They aren't allowed on our computers, phones, or ipads. They both got Ipads at school this year and learned how to use them very quickly. Next year my daughter will get a laptop at school as well. They will get plenty of exposure to these things in school. If their brains are attracted to technology, they will gravitate towards it, if not they will find something else to do with their lives. You are teaching them to use their imaginations, social skills, and be active. Those lessons are also important.

DJsmama34
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:47 PM

shes gonna have to learn to use it sometime

cheekacheeka
by Emerald Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly this. While you can set timers and limit use, totally eliminating tech will prove to be detrimental, in my opinion of course.

Quoting Danesmommy1: You're putting her behind the curve with her peers. Technology is here to stay, shielding her from something that she WILL have to utilize is handicapping her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)