Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I rescued a Siberian Husky and everyone talks crap about it?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 49 Replies

So we have these neighbors. They've been our neighbors for 2 years, and about a year ago they got a Sibe pup. I've always felt bad for her because she was cooped up in the house constanlty! Whenever I would take my kids to the park, I would offer to take Blue with, let her go for a walk and run around at the dog park with the kids. Well they got evicted about 6 weeks ago.

The lady asked me to take her for a bit until they figure something out, and I was hesitant because we have a cat. She said, it was either that or the pound. I couldn't let her go to the pound, so we took her in. She has been super sweet. Seems to get along with the cat, great with the kids. I bought her lots of toys and bones to chew when were not home, but I'm home 3-4 days a week, and my husband is home on two days opposite of me, so someone is almost always home with her. I also run for about 2 hours every morning, so she goes with me everyday. I found out through facebook, the girl and her hubby moved to Cali, and wasn't even going to tell me, and left me with the dog.

My family and I love her, but everyone says that we should get rid of her, that huskies are hard to handle, bad with kids, etc. This is making me nervous, but she hasn't shown any sign of aggression, and I never leave her alone with the kids (as you shouldn't with any animal). I know huskies are high maintenance and get bored easily, but we just love her to much to let her go! What should I do? My kids are attached and so am I. Should I get rid of her though because of what other people are saying? That they are hard to tame, wild, etc. I'm seriously at a lost!

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ejkdmom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:49 PM
I've never heard of problems with that breed. I'd get one in a heartbeat if it my hubby wouldn't divorce me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:49 PM
What is the saying about neighbors? Oh yeah it's "be friendly but not friends".

Smile, keep them at arms length, and happily ignore them.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:51 PM

They are high maintence and escape artists. But, if you can handle the dog then by all means, enjoy. Sounds like you love her already.

cokitfox
by Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

If you haven't had any issues so far, it isn't likly to happen now. Huskys are like any other animal. Show them love, give them something to do and alot of exercise and they make great family pets. Ignore the negitive nellys.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:52 PM
Take her to a vet and 1. Get her checked out, 2. Get her chipped, 3. Get some advice to calm yourself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Quoting Anonymous 2: What is the saying about neighbors? Oh yeah it's "be friendly but not friends". Smile, keep them at arms length, and happily ignore them.

What? They already moved and we've had the dog six weeks. We already registered her in our town. This quote is a little to late.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:53 PM
My aunt had a wonderful Husky that we all loved very much. He wasn't aggressive, but he was an escape artist.
Stephd710
by Emerald Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:54 PM
Yes. You should always do what other people say. Peer pressure is always the way to go.

If you want to keep the dog, then keep the dog.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:56 PM

Quoting Anonymous 3: Take her to a vet and 1. Get her checked out, 2. Get her chipped, 3. Get some advice to calm yourself.

My husband did this morning. The doctor said she is perfectly healthy! All caught up on her vaccinations. Luckily she was already fixed! I'm taking her to the groomers Thursday. We also registered her with the city. It's just what people are saying about the breed that makes me nervous.

Famousglm714
by Gina on Oct. 26, 2015 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this
She seems to be a good fit for your family. I'd keep her and love her forever. :) I love Huskies. I've known some to be a lot of work but that doesn't mean they all are. Since she runs with you she's getting plenty of outside time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)