Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding =no sleep

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
My son doesn't even feed at night, but i just can't get comfy because of the milk in me! I pump right before bed but it seems like i fill up faster at night and i either wake up every 2 hours to empty out or i wake up in a pool of milk....i say this all to say i miss my sleep 😊
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amje
by Maynard's Bitch on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:28 PM
Yes, breast feeding does equal no sleep. I clearly remember that hell. I bottle fed my last two (I have 5 kids), and I got much more sleep. Thank you, dh!
tbulone
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:30 PM
Ive heard that between 2am and 6am are peak production times for milk.
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:30 PM
I pump before bed and 4 hours later, then again 4 hours later. I still manage to get 7 hours a night.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:30 PM

BFing can be a nightmare for some people. 

For me, sleep was far more important and necessary than bothering with BFing.  I did it for about 2 months and said "Screw this shit...I need to sleep more than 2 hours straight and more than 5 hours a night".   It was the smartest thing I did back then and I'm so thankful I quit.

sauceda
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:32 PM
Try drinking less water 2 or 3 hours before bed. That helped me. The more water i drink the more milk i make
Greenenvy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:32 PM
I got so much more sleep when I was bfing than when I bottlefed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:32 PM
I did have that problem sometimes but my kids nursed a lot. So I slept topless and just let them sleep next me. They did their thing and I slept. Lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:35 PM
The more you pump, the more you will produce. Your body works in a supply and demand cycle. When you pump, your body thinks it is your baby needing milk. You will fill up again quickly. If you decrease pumping, your body will think your baby requires less feedings and will eventually start producing less milk.

That is how a Mother with twins can supply the extra milk. The extra feedings from two babies will build up more milk supply. It is also why women often produce less milk when they supplement with formula. That is how the breasts are supposed to work when everything is going well, supply and demand.

Therefore, try not to pump at night if you don't need the extra milk. Hopefully that will help you get more sleep.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:39 PM
Are you using nursing pads at night? Either double up on them or sleep topless with a towel. Don't pump, but do hand express just enough to ease engorgement if you wake up hurting. Your body will catch up and realize the demand isn't there after a few days.
MrsDukati
by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:42 PM
This is the same for my second child. 1 hour and 15 minutes of sleep at a time was NOT cutting it. I'm so happy I decided to quit before I had to deal with that with my son. He was up every two hours with formula, so Lord only knows how often he'd have been up BFing.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

BFing can be a nightmare for some people. 

For me, sleep was far more important and necessary than bothering with BFing.  I did it for about 2 months and said "Screw this shit...I need to sleep more than 2 hours straight and more than 5 hours a night".   It was the smartest thing I did back then and I'm so thankful I quit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)