Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

attention all wives of bipolar husbands... DESPERATELY NEED YOUR HELP

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

so lately i have been having doubts about myself...

i was watching that episode of Empire, about the one where Andre has a mental breakdown...

and i ask myself if i could be strong enough for my husband like that...

if i could be the wife and woman he needs me to be, to be honest, and don't judge me for this, i don't know if i could ever look at him the same way...

i feel appalled that i would think that that would be my reaction and feelings but i have to be honest with myself?

any of you ladies have a bipolar spouse that had a manic episode and had hard times dealing with those emotions you felt?

please no harshness, im only looking for insight and any possible reassurance...

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2015 at 5:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 5:21 AM
I don't watch the show but I do know many times guessing what it would be like would be faulty at best.

Sometimes we surprise ourselves with what we can get through and how.

You don't have to think you have it in you, to get through it well(subjective term)if it happens.
nickyjsmomma219
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 5:25 AM
I have cyclothymia which is like bipolar. I'm on the other side. I always wondered how my husband dealt with me when I wasn't on medication. The thing that helped us was for him to learn about the disorder and recognize the symptoms. I also try to communicate to him what I'm feeling and if I need space
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:16 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:22 AM
Nope sorry. I divorced my bipolar husband. He was type 1 rapid cycling. It was very severe. The worst his psychiatrist had ever seen. He got to the point where he refused all treatment and was not safe to be around me or DS. I'm not much help.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:37 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:40 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:43 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:49 AM
My husband has bipolar schizoaffective disorder. Sometimes it's difficult.
I've never seen that show, so I have no idea what this flip out entailed, or how it was handled.
There are times I get frustrated or feel sorry for myself. I have to be firm and somewhat bossy when he's manic. And I accept that, to at least some degree, I'll always have to be his caregiver. But to stay and to care for him is a conscious decision I made.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:49 AM
I'm disabled my husband knew that when we started dating it's so bad that I can't even wash or brush my hair and we haven't had sex in over two years. If he can be there for me through my physically disability I would be there for him no matter how rough it would be. :).
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:02 AM
Mine was great while on meds. Then it all went downhill when he went off them. He picked up my daughter from school (without my knowledge). He was so high on cocaine and had so much alcohol in his system I don't know how he functioned. Five minutes after he left the school he plowed into several parked cars. My daughter was okay. Lucky for me and her...she got in the back seat and buckled in tight. (He always told her she could sit up front and not buckle for the 7 minute ride home).

She was 8. She had a cell phone and called 911. Then she took his phone and called me. He was out cold.

After that I kicked him out. He was given supervised visits but he never saw either of us again by his choice. It took forever to actually get the divorce finalized.

I couldn't do it again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)