Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

any handy women on here?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
Cash is tight. DH lied and said he would do repairs on the house. He actually started them and left them half done.

The icing on the cake was when I asked if he could do the hot water heater. He lied. Four days later it still wasn't done. We had a huge fight. It turned physical and I put him out.

Now, I'm not handy with house projects by there are so many things I want done. I felt like I cannot even afford to get my shades hung.

Wwyd?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:31 AM
Bump
krislovejmt
by Pirate Wench on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:31 AM

I'd Google it and handle it myself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:33 AM
I feel like with three small kids I don't have time.

I don't have a car to go and get the materials.

I can't even get him to hang some shades. I literally had to put him in the street. Four days to install a hot water heater.

Quoting krislovejmt:

I'd Google it and handle it myself.

smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:36 AM
If you eat it done, you'll find time to make it happen.

We've been doing all kinds of projects on the house for over 10 years, you lost your patience after 4 days?!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:39 AM
Yes. We had no water. I got tired of it and told him to just leave it alone. His brother was there.

DH choked me. I ended punching him several times. He then hit me in my head. I kept swinging and told him to get out.

No job.

No house repairs etc.

Quoting smorgan865: If you eat it done, you'll find time to make it happen.

We've been doing all kinds of projects on the house for over 10 years, you lost your patience after 4 days?!
anchorgurl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:46 AM

I wouldn't try to install a water heater, but I can install my own shades, paint, hang pictures, replace an outlet; I have also installed a ceramic tile backsplash. 

I draw the line at working with natural gas or electric wiring (aside from just popping an outlet).  It depends on how badly you want something done as to the effort that you make to learn and do.  Mostly I look for someone who will install when I buy a new appliance--you can usually find free or really cheap ($25) installations from the big box retailers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:47 AM
Hanging shades is easy. You can do that. Just make sure both brackets are even. Use a level.
Relighting a water heater is easy, all you have to do is follow the instructions that's on the water heater. To install one...I know nothing about that.
I never wait for Dh to do repairs, I just do them. I've live alone for many yrs before him. Right now I need to fix a wall, just need to get spacual (sp)
Once you start doing your own repairs, you might find out its kinda fun.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:47 AM

You need to know how to sweat pipes and have a torch to do a water heater replacement. Do you have the tools and knowledge? PAYING to get one installed runs about $125 (very low end) to $500 and up...PLUS the cost of the water heater.

I did the water  piping for mine, and had a friend of mine do the actual gas line work and the venting into the chimney (mine is gas)

Your electric or gas company might offer replacements which would be billed in monthly increments-it will be expensive that way-but better if you can't come up with all the cash at once.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:49 AM

Quoting anchorgurl:

I wouldn't try to install a water heater, but I can install my own shades, paint, hang pictures, replace an outlet; I have also installed a ceramic tile backsplash. 

I draw the line at working with natural gas or electric wiring (aside from just popping an outlet).  It depends on how badly you want something done as to the effort that you make to learn and do.  Mostly I look for someone who will install when I buy a new appliance--you can usually find free or really cheap ($25) installations from the big box retailers.

$25? Not around here-they wanted $125 to install a dishwasher (which takes all of 10 minutes tops if it is a replacement)  

anchorgurl
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:53 AM

Yikes!  I always get free or really cheap installation from Best Buy and Lowe's/Home Depot.  Still, I would probably pay $125 for an appliance installation if I needed it.  I'd pay more than that at the chiropractor and massage therapist after carrying those big, heavy boxes in the house.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Quoting anchorgurl:

$25? Not around here-they wanted $125 to install a dishwasher (which takes all of 10 minutes tops if it is a replacement)  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)