Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

RN MOMS

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
What are some ethical issue us you come across working as a nurse?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
weeping_angel
by Don't Blink on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:09 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 9:11 AM

I took care of an HIV positive man who wouldn't let us tell his wife about his status.

We had to let a man leave AMA from the ER while he was having an active heart attack. He was competent and just didn't want treatment because he lived with chronic pain and just wanted to die. 

I had an asthmatic patient in the ER not in acute crisis, but in because he wanted an inhaler. The ER physician refused because it wasn't an emergency, nor was it appropriate use of resources.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:43 AM
Bump
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:45 AM

I've had difficulties with family members not wanting their loved ones in the memory care unit, but the family members are not safe otherwise.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:47 AM
What area of nursing are you in if you don't mind sharing? I'm going into the field and have to write a paper on he code of ethics for nursing. So, I was looking for some real life moral and ethical issues

Quoting corticosteroid:

I've had difficulties with family members not wanting their loved ones in the memory care unit, but the family members are not safe otherwise.

Famousglm714
by Gina on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:49 AM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you

Quoting Famousglm714:

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:51 AM
Now i know you can't force him to tell or tell anyone, so how was that situation handled?

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I took care of an HIV positive man who wouldn't let us tell his wife about his status.

We had to let a man leave AMA from the ER while he was having an active heart attack. He was competent and just didn't want treatment because he lived with chronic pain and just wanted to die. 

I had an asthmatic patient in the ER not in acute crisis, but in because he wanted an inhaler. The ER physician refused because it wasn't an emergency, nor was it appropriate use of resources.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:53 AM
We didn't tell his wife.

I don't know if the health department did or how that works, just that I couldn't disclose protected information.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Now i know you can't force him to tell or tell anyone, so how was that situation handled?

Quoting Anonymous 2:

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:08 PM

I work in long-term care, memory care and hospice.  Lots of ethical problems in hospice, let me tell you.  You have to balance the family's needs with the resident's needs in terms of comfort vs. quality of interpersonal interactions.   And I can't tell you the number of times we've had residents basically dumped on us from hospitals and the releasing hospital was basically lie to us to get the resident to us, stating the resident does not have this or that need, when they do and we aren't prepared for them when they arrive, examples would include people with MRSA or other nosocomial infections arriving at our facility without proper notification, so we're stuck balancing the needs of that resident against the risk to other residents.

Quoting Anonymous 1: What area of nursing are you in if you don't mind sharing? I'm going into the field and have to write a paper on he code of ethics for nursing. So, I was looking for some real life moral and ethical issues
Quoting corticosteroid:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)