Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you support this law?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies
In Malta a European country, they are the first to ban surgery on intersex infants. Now it is being discussed if a similar law should come to the US. Would you support a law banning parents from getting a surgery on their intersex child, until the child themselves could consent? If not why?

The surgey usually involves picking what female or male parts the child gets to keep. So say if your son/daughter was born with ovaries and a penis, a parent could decide which to get rid of. So essentially you would be choosing your child's sex.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:22 PM
That's messed up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:23 PM
No, I agree with it.
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:24 PM
No I wouldn't
TxCowGirl07
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:25 PM

I really dont know.   I am glad I didnt have to make any decisions like that. 

kmeow
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:25 PM
I would not, no.
admsj5
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:28 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with this. It should be left to the child when they are old enough to decide.
momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:28 PM
No, I wouldn't suport it. I don't know what my decision would be in that case. Personally, I wouldn't want my child growing up with the ambivalence of that important part of his/her identity. But I can understand other parents may think the right thing to do is having their child decide.
What I definitely do believe is that both choices should be available.
redheadtmk
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:29 PM
3 moms liked this

I would vote for this law. There are stories of these children growing up and not feeling like they are the sex that the parents chose for them. There is one story I believe happened in Canada. I think that story though they doctor botched the circumcision and they decided to make him a female. I cant remember the details at all. Anyway, that is a decision the child should make when they hit puberty and become interested in romance and hormonal. Before that it is too soon to know for most.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:30 PM
While I think parents should wait I don't believe the government should be making medical decisions for us or parents.
DJsmama34
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 12:31 PM

it should be the childs decision since it is their body

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)