Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it that unusual to PREFER working hard?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies
I work in a factory with a lean manufacturing model. Prior to this week, my job basically consisted of one repetitive job at one fixture, with occasional helping out when needed at other fixtures. This week I got moved to the position where, in addition to running a fixture, I pack all the parts, turn the heavy carousel, scan and apply the labels, record keeping, etc. It's 2,000 more steps on my fitbit, and a lot more reaching, lifting, pushing, pulling, etc., plus the paperwork. Coworkers look at me like I have two heads when I say I love the extra physical work and responsibility. Is it really that unusual to prefer working harder?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Reading.Rainbow
by Mad Martigan on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd run away to be an Alaskan Bush Person if I had to live like that...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:14 PM

My motto is "work smarter, not harder". But to each his own. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:16 PM
No, I miss the physical-ness (that's not a word) of my old job.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:16 PM

This, not something my body would be very happy doing.  I am not out of shape either but the wear and tear that you will eventually do may or may not be repairable. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:19 PM

I don't like working hard at all. I'm one of those bare minimum people. I like to stay out of the way and not get attention. I do just enough. I don't like work period and think it's a waste of time but at least I pay my bills and don't need any assistance I guess? I mean if I had a job I just was very passionate about then maybe so. But to each his or her own. If you like it and you feel good then you shouldn't care about what anyone else thinks. 

momngram
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:22 PM

Not unusual at all.

southernwldchld
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

If I have to work labor, I prefer to have many jobs to keep myself occupied with instead of one repetitive action. At least with many things to do, I'm not bored out of my mind.

There is something satisfying about good, hard, physical work sometimes. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:27 PM
No more "wear and tear" than a good workout, imo.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

This, not something my body would be very happy doing.  I am not out of shape either but the wear and tear that you will eventually do may or may not be repairable. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:30 PM
I get it. I work at a vineyard and it's a lot more than just pouring sips of wine for people to try. But I feel good at the end of the day when I'm sore and tired from loading cases from the wine cave and lugging glass racks around.
ms_amanda
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:43 PM
I love working hard. I've never held a labour job, but, when I became a sahm, my office had to replace me with 2 workers! 3 years later, it still takes 2 to do all that I did.

Before my office position , when I worked in daycare, I went above and beyond every single day. I would assess the toddlers development and create activities to help strengthen deficiencies. Every day. I worked with lazy cows who thought I was crazy to spend so much time and effort when I could easily just sit on the floor and do fuck all.

My mom taught us that anything worth doing is worth doing right. That kind of stuck with me. I don't half ass shit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)