Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"God is Real" - Opinion or Fact?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:18 PM
  • 438 Replies

Link

A Texas junior high school is under scrutiny after a teacher allegedly told a seventh grader that God is a myth during a class assignment.

Jordan Wooley, 12, was in her reading class on Monday at West Memorial Junior High School in Katy, Tex., when her teacher asked students to complete an assignment identifying whether statements were facts, opinions or commonplace assertions. When Jordan identified the statement “There is a God” as a fact and an opinion, her teacher told her she was wrong, Jordan’s mother Chantel Wooley told ABC News today.

“In this day in age, I would have never guessed that something like this would happen in a classroom in America,” she said.

When her daughter got home from school that day, Wooley said she immediately called the principal of the school, who said she would investigate the situation. Wooley and her daughter also attended a school board meeting that night where Jordan recounted the incident.

West Memorial Junior High School provided the following statement to ABC: “The teacher is distraught by this incident, as some commentary has gone as far as to vilify her without knowing her, her Christian faith, or the context of the classroom activity. Still, this does not excuse the fact that this ungraded activity was ill-conceived and because of that, its intent had been misconstrued.”

So, what do you think? Was the teacher wrong for what she did?

by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
other_mother
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:20 PM
11 moms liked this

No, I believe the teacher was right. Anything that can't be proven or disproven is open to personal interpretation and beliefs. That means it's an opinion, not a fact.

Would the girl have been willing to put down that Thor is real? Or any other God? I think not.

Bri060492
by Emerald Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:20 PM
3 moms liked this

It's an opinion, not a fact.

DonnaNoble
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:23 PM
4 moms liked this
I'd like to hear the teacher's side of the story. Did she really require the student to say god is a myth, or did she simply tell the student "god is real" is not an example of a fact?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsDukati
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:25 PM
6 moms liked this
I don't get why this is such an issue. Religion is all faith based, there's nothing to prove God is real, other than faith. Faith is subjective, which means God is not fact. Pretty simple.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:25 PM

It's an opinion. There's too many religions out there, who is to say what's actually factual or not. I can't stand the people who get in a debate about this stuff, just respect other peoples beliefs and move on. Theres no facts to say which religion is real or not, it's just what we believe.

RockMyBliss
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:27 PM
2 moms liked this
The teacher knew better than to ask a question like that.
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:27 PM
4 moms liked this
I cant believe this is news, or thar this idiot mother is having the school investigate this.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

It's an opinion.  But many religious people I know will claim it's a fact.

Arwyn724
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:28 PM
4 moms liked this

The teacher was not wrong.   Another post showed the actual paper from the assignment.  There is no 'proof' the teacher ever said God is a myth, that is just how the student reported it to her mom.  The assignment was an exercise on critical thinking, and the answer the teacher wanted was correct.

kmeow
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:28 PM
4 moms liked this
I think the girl is exaggerating, a lot.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)