Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for those of you that have dogs

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:21 PM
  • 34 Replies
We adopted a 3 year old black lab about 2 weeks ago. She came from a good home (at least it appeared that way), but they couldn't care for her so we took her in. Since then, she seems miserable. She's very timid and scidish around my husband and I, and my youngest. She's better with me when I'm home alone with her. She does like my 2 older kids a bit more, and acts happy to see them. She hides in the corners and sleeps all day. She won't play with toys or eat treats. She didn't eat for 3 days, so I bought wet food and mixed it in and she's eating again, but she's skinny. How can I help her? I want her to be happy. Are there any suggestions to help her gain weight?
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
clligatoraoffee
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Poor chicken broth over her dry food. She may take to it better that way. As for the rest it will all take time. Was she with her previous family since a pup? Or has she been passed around a lot? Remember you are all still very new to her. She has to learn to trust you after you took her away from her family. That is just how she sees it. Just continue to shower her with love and give her time. She will come around.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I would suggest an immediate vet visit, if not already done, to rule out any underlying condition. You don't know much about her history, and getting vaccinations and de-wormed might be a good place to start, in case it was never done. Even if she had a great life with the other couple, she's adjusting to a new home and new people, and just like with people, that's scary. I think a vet would have the best ideas as to how to acclimate her to the new situation. A trainer might help with ideas as well, and a well trained dog is usually a happy dog. Good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

took my rescue 6mos to come around....two weeks isn't very long

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:28 PM
After our dog had puppies she got ridiculously skinny. We have her baby formula to help fatten her up. I'm not a vet and we didn't ask one if it was healthy. But it worked and she's fine.
SamMom912
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:29 PM
Shes probably missing her pack ... :(
Have your husband start feeding her.
Give her time to build trust. She goes into a corner because she feels safe protected on all sides... She isnt feeling very safe yet since she is new to your pack.

Lots of walks. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:29 PM
She's grieving. Imagine someone taking your child out of your home and putting them with a brand new family. Give her time to adjust, she'll come around.
kmeow
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:29 PM
Poor dog. :( I would try the vet first, but she probably is just really scared and missing her first family. She will come around, just let her interact with you on her terms.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I suggest you read:

Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems

Also once your dog is more comfortable in your home and around others enroll him in some sort of dog training program.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:32 PM

Echoing this you may want to buy a crate for her, not to lock her in, but so she has a safe spot she feels comfortable and safe in.  

We crate trained our lab and she is beautifully behaved.  She used to hang out in the crate when she wanted some quiet time...which isn't often for Lab puppies.

Quoting SamMom912: Shes probably missing her pack ... :( Have your husband start feeding her. Give her time to build trust. She goes into a corner because she feels safe protected on all sides... She isnt feeling very safe yet since she is new to your pack. Lots of walks. :)

orchid369
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I volunteer with a rescue and foster dogs... she might just take a while to warm up and trust new people, or she might have been abused. 

Keep doing what you are doing and also incorporate walks. Walks are a good way to gain her trust and will lift her mood (endorphines). Try to do once or twice a day. I would also try to get her a bone, either from the butcher ( I buy frozen bones in a bag and give them to my dogs outside), or from a dog store. These are messy so I usually give outside but my dogs LOVE them!

I actually would NOT recommend a crate. All of my foster dogs have come around in a matter of days, the fact you have had her 2 weeks... I wouldn't want her hiding in their and becoming territorial of her crate. Crates are good things if used correctly they are a safe place, but I really think you should establish a better relationship so she isn't using it to get away from you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)