Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sign language help!!

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:00 PM
  • 21 Replies

Mobile Photo

My 3 year old is speech delayed and we do sign language here and at his developmental preschool. It's helping a lot but today he started doing a sign and I have no clue what it means. I've asked him and pointed to many things and he says no.

It's all his right fingers tapping his left Palm. He is hysterical right now because I have no clue what it is!

That's what it looks like but he keeps tapping all the right fingers against his left Palm.
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:01 PM
It looks like more but its not more
southernwldchld
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:03 PM

Some people use that as a sign for "more". It's not totally correct, but it is accepted as.

bob.the.minion
by 🍌bababa baba nana on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Matka_Kinder
by Tina on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:06 PM

That's "again"

Regina_Falange
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:07 PM

It looks like what my daughter would do as more. It's not "more" per say. Both hands should look like the hand on the left, and they would tap each other. She could never make that work for some reason.

"again" is like that but with the right hand shown flat and the other tapping downward.

Did he just do something that he would want "more" or "again" of??

Angelbabii407
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:08 PM
That typically means more? It's not the proper way but it's how most little kids do it.
Mommato5kids
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:10 PM
We literally walked in the door like 15 minutes ago and he started doing it. I said lunch? Made him lunch and he didn't eat and keeps doing it. I've given him juice, milk, showed him a lot of things, toys etc.

He's just freaking out and keeps pointing at a cupboard so I emptied it out and nada.

I don't know what more or again he wants when we haven't been home all day.

I wish he would talk, it would make life a lot easier for both of us.
Mommato5kids
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:19 PM
Finally figured it out. He wanted his pirate coloring book which was on the craft table in the playroom.

I still have no clue why he was so insistent on it being in the kitchen cabinets.

I feel like a failure of a mom. He's in speech and it's helping a bit plus the preschool but it's still hard for me. I do sign language with him but that's not how he usually does more or again so I was totally confused.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:25 PM
Who is teaching him? Maybe when you pick him up next time, ask them about new words he's learned, so this doesn't happen again?

Quoting Mommato5kids: Finally figured it out. He wanted his pirate coloring book which was on the craft table in the playroom.

I still have no clue why he was so insistent on it being in the kitchen cabinets.

I feel like a failure of a mom. He's in speech and it's helping a bit plus the preschool but it's still hard for me. I do sign language with him but that's not how he usually does more or again so I was totally confused.
Mommato5kids
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:29 PM
His preschool teacher and speech therapist. The preschool he attends is for delayed and special Ed kids.

I'm going to do that when i pick him up on Monday, school is Monday-Thursday for 3 hours.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Who is teaching him? Maybe when you pick him up next time, ask them about new words he's learned, so this doesn't happen again?

Quoting Mommato5kids: Finally figured it out. He wanted his pirate coloring book which was on the craft table in the playroom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)