Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welfare

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies
Are people on it allowed to buy a membership to go to the gym? What do you think?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Well if you're on it, then you can't really afford the gym. However they can't really stop you either. They dont monitor your spending.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:19 PM
I sure hope not.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:22 PM

Well of course you're allowed. I think going to the gym is overrated. I'm not sure why you can't exercise anywhere you want, for free, but hey, if someone wants a stuffy, smelly gym, that's on them.

HeavenonEarth81
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:22 PM
Some gym memberships are really cheap like planet fitness for $10a month. I think if someone is on welfare, they can still use a gym within their budget to stay healthy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:23 PM

I'm on welfare and I have a gym membership for my family. 

PartyOfGirls
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I am In Canada, but here they pay for memberships for the gym for the entire family, they also pay for kids sports activities, they strongly believe that no matter your income you should be taking care of yourself and your kids should be socilaized in activities.

Its a total seprate cost then your living allowance, they send you the money for your memberships/kids sports separately then food and rent money!

We also have a program here called P.L.A.Y and its a non-profit organization that pays for kids as well, to take extra activities on top of what Welfare pays.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this
My sister is on welfare because she had been in a rough spot. She left an abusive spouse and was left with nothing. She has been extremely stresses lately and has developped into panic attacks and heart/chest pain. Theres a huge sale on a gym membership and i thought it would help her health in the mornings. During the day shes in school and works part time.

Quoting Seagodess:

Well if you're on it, then you can't really afford the gym. However they can't really stop you either. They dont monitor your spending.

irishUwould
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:24 PM
Allowed? Well yes. There is no guideline against it in the welfare paper work. Just because someone is poor doesn't mean they can't work out.
WemblyFraggle
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:25 PM
Doesnt YMCA subsidize low income families in the states? They do here
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:27 PM
Of course, they don't tell you how to spend your money
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)