Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you can afford $1000 rent, you don't need FS!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 58 Replies
Is what I was told. I applied for Fs because after rent, $400ish in utilities, $500/mth daycare (yes I know that is cheap), car and medical insurance totaling $450, I am left with roughly $150/mth for food, diapers and gas.

I am actively searching for a cheaper place, but 2 bedrooms run between $800-1000/mth here. With the age and sexes of my children, no I can't get a one bedroom. I can't really cut corners anywhere. Unless I get the kids Medicaid, but then I still have to pay for insurance for myself. So that doesn't help. I must have insurance. Car ins is the cheapest available. The most used reply is "get a second job". Don't think I haven't considered that. I am trying. I've applied. I've asked my current job for more hours. In 4 months, I will have completed the mandatory one year employement requirement and my pay will significantly increase. I will be just fine THEN. But for now, I am struggling.

So I applied. Of course I didn't want to! But I need help. Now before all the "you made bad choices in life" comments begin. No, I didn't. If I wanted my identity known, I would post the article about my husbands death. The life insurance only lasted so long. Savings was used until it paid out. It took a little time after his passing to get a job, secure daycare and begin earning a check. The only mistake was not having a higher insurance policy on him.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2015 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 4:29 PM
Unfortunately they look at your overall gross income not your bills. I am in the same boat as a single mom of 2. I gross close to 3k a month but take home is less than 2,000
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 4:35 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know everyone is different buy may I ask why you didn't buy a home with the life insurance money? I only ask because when my dad passed, my mom paid off the mortgage which made all the other bills a breeze. 

I don't know why they even said that to you. They have to know what the cost of living in your area is. I would try to talk to a different worker. Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 4:40 PM
The policy wasn't enough. He was supposed to increase it but never did. We did the cheapest funeral but there wasn't much left after that.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know everyone is different buy may I ask why you didn't buy a home with the life insurance money? I only ask because when my dad passed, my mom paid off the mortgage which made all the other bills a breeze. 

I don't know why they even said that to you. They have to know what the cost of living in your area is. I would try to talk to a different worker. Good luck!

Talkingheads
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 4:41 PM

Some people don't have hundreds and thousands of life insurance available. Plus with that COL what makes you think affording a mortgage payment would be easier

Quoting Anonymous 3:

FromAtoZ
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Why post this?

It's your business.  You are doing what is best for your family for a short amount of time.

Do it and move on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Quoting Talkingheads:

Some people don't have hundreds and thousands of life insurance available. Plus with that COL what makes you think affording a mortgage payment would be easier

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I meant buy it outright so there would be no mortgage payment but I see what you're saying. She said there wasn't much left after the funeral.

CampHarris
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 4:43 PM

$1000 rent?!?!?!?

I'd kill for $1000 rent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 4:46 PM

Quoting Anonymous 1: The policy wasn't enough. He was supposed to increase it but never did. We did the cheapest funeral but there wasn't much left after that.
Quoting Anonymous 3:

That sucks. I'm sorry. :( I really do hope things get better for you. 

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Oct. 29, 2015 at 4:47 PM
Hope things get better.
MamaBear131716
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 4:47 PM
That's really not a lot for rent in some areas. We pay $800/mo and got a steal of a deal for the size of the house. Most 3 bedrooms in my area range from 850-1500/mo. That includes apts.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)