Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jenniepepsi

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies
3 moms liked this
If you arent her or have no tips, please bump!!!

Jenniepepsi- when you were homeless did you have your child? If so, what items on the holidays did you really want?

If you stayed in shelters, what did the people actually want?

I work for an amazing organization that works with at risk kids and homeless youth. This is my first holiday. I've volunteered to be on the Christmas cooking crew. But I have 2 teen moms with zero resources. I have given them all the local toy drive info...but they are raising kids in a shelter environment. So big items are a no. I want to adopt both of them and their kids and get them things they need but also things they would truly get joy from.

I figured you may be able to help me!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:39 PM
Bump
Spare.Time
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:40 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Here's a bump for you.

I can try to ask my stepmother for you. She worked for the Salvation Army for years and was really good with knowing what was really needed. She's on vacation, but I'll send her a text.
curvygurl1912
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:42 PM

Bump

JENNlEPEPSl
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:42 PM

weird. I never get call outs! 

yes i did have her when i was homeless. For my list, i just wanted to make sure she had a good christmas. her list was about dollies, and legos. 

most of us at the shelter, we wanted to make our kids happy. we worried about thanksgiving and christmas dinner. we worried about the kids getting to see santa, since most places charge to see him. if the womens children are old enough to want, (not sure if they are babies or not) i would try to get a santa in to see them! the fire department did so for us at the shelter. santa came in and brought all the kids  the 'big' want item from their list (They asked us moms about it) one boy, who was older than all the other kids, was gifted with a bike! as he was too old for toys. 

I would say the best thing to do for them, is for one, things they NEED. toiletries. warm clothing. even some 'wants' as far as 'needs' go if that makes sense? instead of disposable, 2 blade razors for shaving, mabye a really nice electric razor that will last MUCH longer. 

I would also say, gift cards. gift cards are AMAZING when you have nothing. because you never know when a need will pop up. sure, i may need TP today, but tomorrow i may need new socks! you know? 

For young women as well, pedicures, hair dye, waxing gift cards. I know young women take a great pride in themselves, and feel SO much better when these things can be done, but often, its a pedicure, or formula for the baby. you know? 

DIAPERS AND WIPES!! but im sure you knew that ! LOL .

let me wrack my brain a bit. this is just off the top of my head! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
The standard list that goes out is basic essentials. Like soap, tampons, good toilet paper...which I plan on doing. But Christmas shouldn't be just needs.
BionicBunny
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:45 PM
Socks, soap, paper and pencil ( doodle pads for the kids) book, warm hat and gloves.
Those are a few ideas I could come up with for you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:45 PM
Thank you!

My program is taking all the teen moms and their kids to a holiday sleigh ride and Santa and then we are doing a craft with the picture. Most of our girls love with their parents but these two are all alone.

I like the razor idea! Also there's a nail salon within walking distance...so maybe a certificate there!

Quoting JENNlEPEPSl:

weird. I never get call outs! 

yes i did have her when i was homeless. For my list, i just wanted to make sure she had a good christmas. her list was about dollies, and legos. 

most of us at the shelter, we wanted to make our kids happy. we worried about thanksgiving and christmas dinner. we worried about the kids getting to see santa, since most places charge to see him. if the womens children are old enough to want, (not sure if they are babies or not) i would try to get a santa in to see them! the fire department did so for us at the shelter. santa came in and brought all the kids  the 'big' want item from their list (They asked us moms about it) one boy, who was older than all the other kids, was gifted with a bike! as he was too old for toys. 

I would say the best thing to do for them, is for one, things they NEED. toiletries. warm clothing. even some 'wants' as far as 'needs' go if that makes sense? instead of disposable, 2 blade razors for shaving, mabye a really nice electric razor that will last MUCH longer. 

I would also say, gift cards. gift cards are AMAZING when you have nothing. because you never know when a need will pop up. sure, i may need TP today, but tomorrow i may need new socks! you know? 

For young women as well, pedicures, hair dye, waxing gift cards. I know young women take a great pride in themselves, and feel SO much better when these things can be done, but often, its a pedicure, or formula for the baby. you know? 

DIAPERS AND WIPES!! but im sure you knew that ! LOL .

let me wrack my brain a bit. this is just off the top of my head! 

eyes4ears
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:46 PM
You're doing a good thing, thanks.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:47 PM
Isn't she the one who faked her death or an accident or something?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)