Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is afraid of my daughters room

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:42 PM
  • 30 Replies

My youngest son just turned two. He shares a room with my eight year old son. It is connected by a bathroom to my two year old daughter's room. He has never been afraid of the dark until recently. Recently at nighttime he has started crying in his bed and when we come to check on him, he says that someones going to come through the door, pointing at the bathroom. I ask him why would anyone be in your bathroom and he says not the bathroom, from Ari's room. 

He won't go in there alone, even in the daytime. He is also afraid of some other rooms in the house. We keep certain rooms locked so the kids can run around and we don't have to worry about them getting into anything. There are certain rooms that he won't go in alone or with the lights off and when we leave the room he always say "lock the door mommy", even if it's not a room I would normally lock. It's odd because it's only random rooms, other rooms he has no problem with. 

We tell him that it is alright, that there is nothing in here that will hurt him and that his brother would never let anyone hurt him. My mother in law, who lives with us, gave him a nazar bracelet to wear at night, puts charms around his bed and a cross over his bed, hangs herbs with calming smells to help him sleep, puts rose water on him, puts iron scissors on the shelf above his bed, puts garlic by the door, etc. That has made him feel better but sometimes he still gets scared. 

We had the house blessed when we moved here and when we finished renovations, but we didn't have the kids in the house. My mother in law wants us to call the Priest to come back and this time have my son watch, we are considering it. It's an old house, things creak and sounds echo, so I'm sure that is contributing to it. There is also a lot of natural light which leads to a lot of shadows. My eight year old son believes in ghosts but isn't afraid of them. My daughter hasn't been afraid of the house and I'm worried she will start being afraid of her room as she sees how my son is acting. I don't want my children to be afraid of their home. Any ideas?

by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:44 PM

What's your 8 year old like?

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:47 PM

He's not afraid. He thinks that ghosts exist, but he doesn't think they normally hurt people and he isn't afraid of anything in our house. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

What's your 8 year old like?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:54 PM
Why don't the 2 yr olds share a room?

Let him have night lights, switch rooms around, this is weird for a 2 yr old
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:05 PM

Because we have a boys room and a girls room. They already have night lights. I don't think putting him in with my daughter would be a good idea since that is the room he is afraid of and putting my older son in my daughters room and my daughter in my sons room so the two year olds are together makes no sense either to me, that would be completely redoing the rooms when who they are sharing a room with doesn't have any effect on him being afraid. 

Quoting Anonymous 3: Why don't the 2 yr olds share a room? Let him have night lights, switch rooms around, this is weird for a 2 yr old

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:28 PM

BUMP!

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 8:53 PM

BUMP!

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 6:12 PM

BUMP!

cybcm
by Ruby Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 6:16 PM
He's two and had his fears confirmed that something is coming to get him by your MIL who coveted him in a bunch of totems to protect him.

You don't protect people from something that isn't there, therefore, something must be there and it must be coming to get him.

You kind of just fed the fear and now it's big and there and constant.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 30, 2015 at 6:18 PM
Sounds like you need to call the pediatrician and maybe a therapist...not normal for 2 years old imo
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)