Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age did you or do you plan on...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
Letting your kids stay home alone? My dd is almost 12. When she turned 10 I started letting her stay home alone if we were going to be gone less than 3 hours.

Now she stays home all day by herself if she wants too. Mostly because she has anxiety and absolutely hates going shopping or even to the playground. She gets overwhelmed easily and likes to be alone.

My mil just found out that dd has been staying home alone and she flipped out. Telling me that I'm abusing her. My kid can use the microwave, she has a phone to call, she has an iPad to to text, my dad lives across the street and our neighbor is a retired nurse. I'm not worried about leaving her home. Mil made it sound like I'm the worst mother alive.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2015 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:05 PM
Bumpity bump
Hanab818
by ThePonds on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:08 PM
It depends on how mature they are.
SusieCarmichael
by NotARugrat on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:10 PM
This!

I was staying home at 8. I was very mature. I also had to watch my 6 year old sister and 5 year old brother while I was home.

Quoting Hanab818: It depends on how mature they are.
ThatDancerGirl
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:10 PM
I don't see the problem with what you're doing. It'll depend on a lot of things when mine can stay home alone but it'll probably be around that age.
KAmamaJ
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:11 PM
It depends on the maturity, not the age. I've left my 9 year old home alone sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dawn4175
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:13 PM
My 11 year old stays home alone regularly.
SDmomma-3
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:15 PM
I agree with other posters, it depends on their maturity level not age in my book.
roquek2016
by Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:16 PM
I started staying home alone when I was in 4th grade because my parents didn't get off that early. But I was also a lot more mature then most kids I knew at that age. I knew when I came home to lock the door and not answer it for anyone and I also did alil light cooking to help my mom out, I would have like the sides and stuff done then she would just cook the meat when she got home.
honeybee69
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:19 PM

Mine did around 11. They had phone numbers to reach us.

imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 7:21 PM
My kids are 15,11 and 10. They're all fine to stay home.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)