Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where have all the good jobs gone?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:26 PM
  • 34 Replies

For kids? I was in the store today and a mother was frustrated with her son he kept asking for a $30 and she told him repeatedly no that it was too close to Christmas so he had to wait and if he didn't get it then they would see if they could fit it in the budget after provided he does what he is supposed to do like always. with the end of the discussion being him pouting and her saying, "With that attitude you don't deserve it today anyway. I know you want it but I want you to behave too." The kid was like ten.

Now when I was a kid they had little thing for kids to make money. Some kids made lemonade stands, others would come to school with candy in freezer bags (fun size bars, suckers, etc.) and sell them. But on the back of the Disney Adventures kids magazine they had the Olympia Sales club and the Sunshine Sales club. You would call the number and ask for a kit and in the kit would be a catalog of the products, 3 order forms, prize catalog, prize form, return envelope for the order and prize form and what you do. you could order as many as you wanted. I usually got five so I could give one to my mom, one to my grandma, leave one for the ladies to browse through at the nail salon, and take two to school (there was always the one teacher who wanted me to leave it till the end of the day and I wanted another one to show around to the other teachers. I wasn;t unsafe because i would stay in my apartment complex and show it to people we knew when we went anywhere. I sold for both clubs. A few of my friends were in it too.

We always made good money becuase we got $2 for each product we sold. I would get prizes too. I usually got a prize that was worth less than the amount of products I sold for example once I got a boom box which was a prize for 53 prodcuts sold, I had sold 236 products. So 236-53=183  and 183x2=366 so i got a boom box and $366. I was always proud of myself. I had a sense of accomplishment. I would take my cash out geta money order for the rest of the cash and send that plus any checks I was given and the order forms (which i would make copies of.Then I would get the stuff back and get it to the people who bought stuff  I did that from 8 years to 11 years.

Then I joined a sales club at 12 where they would pick you up in the afternoon with like 8-11 other teens ages from 12-18 (all still in school) Monday through Sunday. You could pick you work days on saturdays and sundays you got picked up around 9am. I was allowed to work Thursday-Sunday. Sunday was usually a half-day then we went to the mall or wherever. We also got to go on trips. we would go in groups of two in a nieghborhood or at a shopping center, one of us would get a flip phone (the boss had like 10 of those and they would be turned in at the end of the night.) The phone was to call and check in, or if we needed more products, or if we needed to be picked up becuase we weren't allowed to be there. We sold candy and other stuff ranging from $5-$10 and we would get 25% of what we brought in. We also got bonuses to. There individual bonuses like if you sold a certain amount you got $50 and there were group bonuses likt if the whole group sold a certain amount everyone made 50% instead of 25%.

Again we made our own money and it made us feel good. Why don't kid's have those these days?

by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JENNlEPEPSl
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Probably the same place as all the cowboys 

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:30 PM

I've never heard of those things before. It's not something I would have done. My girls get paid for chores. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Jannarella
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:34 PM

Yes, but not every family can afford allowance, I had friends who decided to do the teen jobs thing becuase they preferred making more money than thier allowance.

Quoting mcginnisc:

I've never heard of those things before. It's not something I would have done. My girls get paid for chores. 

Jannarella
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:36 PM

Oh, Texas. Gotcha

Quoting JENNlEPEPSl:

my2kidsmom9498
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:38 PM
My kids mowed lawns, cleaned gutters, shoveled snow, from 5 th grade on for other people for cash.
KAmamaJ
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:39 PM
I've never heard of that. My kids get an allowance, just like I did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:40 PM
Ive never heard of sales clubs but they sound like the gazillion fundraisers the schools do.
terra221
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:41 PM
That song popped into my head the second I read the title.

Quoting JENNlEPEPSl:

LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:44 PM
I sold newspaper subscriptions and now it's adults in the grocery store if at all. I also helped my friend with her paper route (on days she was sick,etc) but the days of afternoon editions are long gone. Lawn mowing jobs are in the hands of illegals which leaves babysitting. My daughter is just getting old enough to babysit.
JENNlEPEPSl
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 10:45 PM

me too :P 

Quoting terra221: That song popped into my head the second I read the title.
Quoting JENNlEPEPSl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)