Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's mandatory to work on Thanksgiving!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 203 Replies

A new Wal-mart opened a few months ago close to my home. Three months before it opened I got offered store manager position after working at Wal-mart for 22 years and worked at 4 Wal-marts total. There' has been people (mostly newer associates) requesting off on Thanksgiving day and I've been denying all of that because they have to work on Thanksgiving if not then they'll get wrote up. Unless it's for medical reasons or they're in the hospital, then it's denied. I've told assistant managers not to approve that day they request off on Thanksgiving day. Black Friday is a big deal and we need everyone there. I've worked every Thanksgiving and I didn't like it at first, but I got use to it now and my husband, my children, and I usually celebrate Thanksgiving the day after. I remember Black Friday was at 12am or something now it starts at 6pm on Thanksgiving night. For those who has morning shift, well they'll have to work it out because most of them are going to be scedule at 2 or 3pm especially for those who has morning shift. They work in retail and only time Wal-mart closes is on Christmas Day and some especially members of management has to work on Christmas night and I've done that ever since I got my first promotion as department manager years ago at another Wal-mart. If they don't like it, then they can quit if they want.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:47 PM
So
bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:48 PM
3 moms liked this
I think it sucks. I work in a hospital and we get every other thanksgiving off.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:49 PM
Thanks for sharing?
WaterorWine
by Wino on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:49 PM
12 moms liked this
Okay. I don't shop or support businesses that are open on Thanksgiving, but if someone chooses to take the job- sucks for them.

I hate corporate greed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:50 PM

Walmart is a horrid company anyway. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:54 PM
Walmart has always and will continue to suck.
702girly
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:54 PM

I have to work on Thanksgiving too. We're just going to celebrate on a different day. It's not a big deal. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:55 PM
11 moms liked this
Oh the fun memories.... NOT. I worked at Walmart for years and hated working on mandatory holidays without fair pay. Holiday pay = average hours worked, not hours worked that day. They also cut hours leading up to the holiday so you average 5 hours and then they make you work an 8 hour shift.

Don't worry. I quit. I worked the day after Christmas to make sure I got the holiday pay, then I quit. It wasn't worth the stress or the pathetic paycheck. Now that I have a family I would never go back to working retail. It's just not for me.

Also, "they get wrote up"? Do they only require a high school diploma or GED for the job? You didn't use paragraphs, correct punctuation, and you used poor grammar. Another thing, Walmart dropped the hyphen years ago. Just something you should know... You know... As a store manager.
702girly
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:55 PM

If you buy things online you support businesses that are open on Thanksgiving. 

Quoting WaterorWine: Okay. I don't shop or support businesses that are open on Thanksgiving, but if someone chooses to take the job- sucks for them. I hate corporate greed.

KAmamaJ
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm going to be working thanksgiving, I'm a nurse. I honestly don't see the big deal. We just celebrate another day, regardless of what holiday I might be working.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)