Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Guy from towing co. lost my tire lock

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies

WWYD?

Was away from home today & blew a tire.  Had to have AAA send out someone (they sent someone from a towing company) to put on my spare tire.  The guy used my tire lock to take off the hubcap in order to put on the spare, and then didn't give it back to me.  I realized I didn't have it when I went to Walmart (the only place open on a Sunday) to buy a new tire and they couldn't get off the spare one.  I had to drive 14 miles home on the spare.  Tomorrow I have to take the car into Honda to figure out what to do.  The guys at the tire place told me it will be very expensive, somewhere in the ranch of $75 per tire + parts, to resolve this issue.

Initially the guy from the towing company said he gave it back to me.  I fiercly argued this as I know he absolutely did not.  I have always kept the lock in my glove compartment and I did not get it back to put it back in the glove compartment.  Then the towing company said he would come search my car.  I told them myself, my kids & two of the guys at Walmart searched my car and found nothing.  Then they said they'd look in his truck - and did so twice but found nothing.  Last I heard they were going to send the towing guy to the place where he put on the spare, but it was getting dark.  i have no idea whether he went back to look and they never called me back.  When I called later when we were home they were closed for the day.

I'm a bit nervous about how this is going to play out tomorrow.  It's sort of my word against his.  I am 100% certain the lock was not returned to me, however I cannot prove it in any way.  What I think is he put the piece on the ground when he was done using it and forgot it there.  

Any thoughts on how I might handle?  I cannot wait on the towing company to find the piece or pay for my expenses.  I'm a single mother with one car and I drive my kids to school every day.  I have a mom helping me out in the morning tomorrow but it is a one-time thing.   The minute she leaves I am calling to make a car appointment at Honda so I can get this resolved and get a new tire and I will have no choice but to pay what they ask to resolve this.  But I really feel the towing company should be paying for any expenses I incure as a result of their error.  I'm sure they will fight me on it.

ANY suggestions?  

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polly.pockette
by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:48 AM

didn't read, but wanted to tell you the the hospital lost my dads cane, clothes, and teeth recently......

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:48 AM
Why do you even have a tire lock?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:49 AM

WTF, that sucks.

Quoting polly.pockette:

didn't read, but wanted to tell you the the hospital lost my dads cane, clothes, and teeth recently......

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:50 AM

It came with my car.  It keep people from being able to steal my hubcaps. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: Why do you even have a tire lock?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:51 AM
Contact Bar. They are in charge of disputes like this. Auto places count on you not knowing who to contact but they don't want a negative mark from bar so they will be much more likely to resolve the problem.
My parents owned an auto repair shop for 20 years and they were 2ND generation auto shop owners. I know that field inside and out. Had to call bar once myself.
Good luck!
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:53 AM
Leave an angry message on their Facebook page or website. Companies hate bad social media press and will work with you to get you to take it down.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:53 AM
????

Are you in the ghetto?

We have 2 luxury vehicles worth over $70k each and I have never heard of that.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

MenopauseManiac
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 2:01 AM
Seriously! I have changed tires on my mom's Infinity and my stepdad's Lexus, nothing like this at all. I have not yet had to change a tire on my mom's Lexus, which is newer than my stepdad's, but I'm pretty sure there's no such thing. Although it would have been nice if there was such a thing on my the Toyota I inherited when m sister died. She was blind in her right eye and the right side of the car has quite a bit of minor damage, including a missing front hubcap. Meh, still better than having to drive my car to MA from AZ when we relocated after her death.

Quoting Anonymous 2: ????

Are you in the ghetto?

We have 2 luxury vehicles worth over $70k each and I have never heard of that.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 2:02 AM
I have no idea what that is. But I'd just pay and cut your losses. They aren't going to admit they did it.

A friend of mine was having her car towed cause it broke down. Some kid hit the tow truck, her car flew off the thing and hit numerous other cars. It was a disaster. And the kids insurance only paid out a certain amount. And the tow truck was not liable cause it was not their fault. She took a total loss on the car. It was used and she only had liability. So, could be worse.
TheBamBam
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 2:02 AM
2 moms liked this
Wtf kind of rims do you have that are so valuable you need tire locks for?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)