Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the best way to get over emotional pain inflicted by family members...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
Who will never apologize?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2015 at 4:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 4:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Move on, and be happy without them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 4:54 AM
Keep your distance.
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:30 AM

Distance

blessed107
by Diamond Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:32 AM
Stay away. Move on.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:33 AM

Distance yourself from them & surround yourself with friends & family who bring positive things to your life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:34 AM
Remind yourself that it's their problem, not yours. My mother is like that so we have only the most superficial relationship, texting and very occasional FaceTime.
jjames1990
by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:34 AM
Ignore them, cut them out of your life. I do not talk to any of my family. Haven't in 3 years. It was the best decision of my life and taught my kids not to allow someone to walk on you, no matter who it is.
woodswalker
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:34 AM
DISTANCE. Dont keep putting yourself around toxic people waiting for an apology
woodswalker
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:35 AM
a licensed therapist
STVUstudent
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:57 AM

get a good therapist and stop expecting the family members to ever be what you expect them to be.  Harsh?  Maybe... but they will probably never live into YOUR expectation of them, and if they do not see their behavior as hurtful AND believe they are somehow in the wrong, they will never apologize, and there is nothing you can do to force the issue.  Next, consider if you are willing to cut hurtful people out of your life.

I see a lot of people on here who talk about maintaining relationships with toxic relatives for the sake of their children, so they would "know" their grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, whatever... and I have to ask, WHY???  My brother is a grade a PRICK who was a hateful bully his entire childhood, who tried to molest me as a teenager... and guess what?  I feel not one little bit bad about not seeing him OR his family.  My mother keeps pushing me to have a relationship with him, to reach out to him, but hell, SHE doesn't have a relationship with him!  He didn't even call her when she had open heart surgery a few months ago.  I don't see him, my kids don't know him, and should something happen to me and my wife, our children will go to trusted friends, NOT any of my relatives, who I would not truxt to raise a chimera...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)