Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long should it take teachers to respond?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 3:45 PM
  • 11 Replies

I sent an email to my sons 4th grade science/social studies teacher. They team teach so they have 3 different teachers they go to. My son has a freakin F on his progress report for science!!! He has never had even a D so I am flipping. Right now she has focused on social studies unit so I can't imagine there is much to go by in science but I want to know what the problem is. Is he not doing the work? Surely you can show up, do the work and usually get a C without too much effort. I was nice in email wondering if she can shed some light on the situation and what I can do to help. I sent this last night. I didn't expect her to get back to me last night but surely thought she would have time to get back to me at some point today. Isn't 24 hour rule for email a good rule?

UPDATE: ok she did respond. To me it was like she was dismissive. She said not to panic yet but there are only 3 grades so far and he has the one that is bringing him down. also that she has him in the afternoon when focus isnt as good and she will stay on top of it. But I can't help but freak out!!! I told him that is the last F that he is ever going to get. There is no excuse for it. Even if you somewhat pay attention you should get by. An F tells me you aren't even trying. UGH!!

by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Spam72
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 3:48 PM

She may be sick today, may have meetings, other things going on.  90% of the time I get back to a parent within a couple of hours after I get to work but if I do t, it just means I'm busy.

geeez
by Baroness on Nov. 16, 2015 at 3:50 PM
Well technically it hasn't been 24 hrs yet. I would give it until tomorrow...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 3:51 PM

it hasn't been 24 hours yet...

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 3:52 PM

If you sent it last night, it hasn't even been a full 24 hours yet. Give it time. There is a chance she didn't check her email last night and since she had work today, hasn't had a chance to check it yet, let alone respond.

RitaTequila531
by *JuStRITa* on Nov. 16, 2015 at 3:52 PM
I would wait until tomorrow morning and contact the main office.
IfTheTiaraFits
by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 3:53 PM
Today is Monday. The first day of a school week. I'd look for a response late tonight, maybe tomorrow, or even Wednesday. But during school hours, and immediately after school hours? Nah. There is too much happening during that time to stop and look at email.
JayTee80
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 3:55 PM

I'd give her another day.  If you know he has been doing all his work and doing well along along, it is most likely a mistake.  My son came home with a grade range of 70-75 on his interim for social studies last year.  He insisted he had been doing his work and done well on all of his tests. I emailed her that evening.  Turns out she entered the wrong grading code.  He actually had a 97 in the class. 

mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 3:55 PM
Is the teacher even there today? Some teachers respond to email within 24 hours. Some have a rep for not checking email. I'd wait 72 hours then send a note.
blessed107
by Diamond Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 3:55 PM
Maybe tomorrow.
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 3:55 PM

You sent it over the weekend, you probably will not get a response until tonight or tomorrow. Have you talked to your child about it? In fourth grade, he should be able to shine a lot of light on the situation outside of it being a major computer error or something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)