Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you leave him home alone?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies
My son is 12 and is pretty mature for his age. Anyway I had a dilemma this morning. His baby sister was in serious need of a new pack of diapers (I forgot to run to the store last night) and I HAD to go out to get her some but my son is sick and I can't have them in the same area right now because he's contagious and she's only a year old. Would you leave your 12 year old at home (while he's sick) to run to the store for 15 minutes with the baby or wait and improvise with smaller diapers you have that she grew out of? Or would you risk making your baby sick and just bring your son along?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nellyoleson
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:37 PM
Sure. I do this with my 5th grade dd who is 10. Only daytime for half hour or less.
Libby22
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I was babysitting at 12. So, yes, I would leave him for a quick store run. See what the laws are in your state just to be sure.
admsj5
by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:38 PM
I sure would.
my3girls201410
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:39 PM
I would
amandajoy21
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:39 PM
No question I would leave him home. He is 12. Make sure he knows the rules and someone to contact if he needs help.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:39 PM
I've actually looked it up before and they don't have a law specifying any age to leave a kid alone (that I could find anyway).

Quoting Libby22: I was babysitting at 12. So, yes, I would leave him for a quick store run. See what the laws are in your state just to be sure.
knoxmomof2
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:40 PM
I'd leave him home.
Libby22
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:40 PM
Some don't specify age. VA (my state) doesn't. I think you'd be fine leaving him.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I've actually looked it up before and they don't have a law specifying any age to leave a kid alone (that I could find anyway).

Quoting Libby22: I was babysitting at 12. So, yes, I would leave him for a quick store run. See what the laws are in your state just to be sure.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:41 PM
Of course. I was leaving my kids alone for up to 30 minutes at age 10. My dd was babysitting at 12.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 6:41 PM

Oh yeah. I wouldnt do it long term or regularly. Kids that age get too many bad ideas haha. but this is fine! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)