Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you...REFUGEES

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
A lot of people are against Syrian refugees being brought to the US. I don't blame you. It's a scary thought that you don't know who is ISIS and who isn't. I'm very conflicted between empathy and caution on this situation.

Just a random thought I had: If you had a choice, would you allow just women and children? Or no Syrians at all?

I personally would take the women and children in a heartbeat.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2015 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaylinC03
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 7:32 PM
3 moms liked this
No, I wouldn't. I wouldn't want to split up families, and women can be and have been a part of ISIS as well. I'm not naive enough to think that every single refugee who comes over here is going to be innocent and have good intentions when you're talking about such large numbers.

This is not worth the enormous risk.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

me personally i think we should take them all you can't condemn an entire country's people for the actions of a few.I couldn't imagine going through something like that.

supermama322
by Kaylee on Nov. 16, 2015 at 7:36 PM
I don't know anymore :(
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 7:37 PM
No, the men should be allowed too. The vast majority are just normal people and have normal families. I know people want to keep the men there to fight for their country, but just like anywhere else there are a number of reasons someone might not be suitable for this. Additionally I think in the long run it will make the children more angry that we wouldn't let their fathers and brothers and uncles in and that has more potential as a threat later. We preach about how children of single parent families turn out horribly and that idea creates more of those children, who may have familial ties to a terrorist organization.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 7:37 PM
I would welcome women and children.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 7:38 PM
No.... You have no idea who you can trust
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 7:38 PM
I'd let them in. I would host a few if such a thing was allowed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 7:39 PM

Orphans, maybe.

star33
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 7:42 PM
My feelings precisely. You hear their stories & sympathize, but we can't just allow tons of immigrants of any kind to come in. I'm not sure what the answer should be.

Quoting supermama322: I don't know anymore :(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2015 at 7:46 PM
I would never want to break a family up but if this was a possibility, I think their safety would be more important. I don't want to sound heartless by that. There is also the thought of having the men in a SAFE holding area until it is verified that they are not a member of ISIS. That way they are protected while it is worked out. If they are found to be safe, reunite them with their families.

Quoting quickbooksworm: No, the men should be allowed too. The vast majority are just normal people and have normal families. I know people want to keep the men there to fight for their country, but just like anywhere else there are a number of reasons someone might not be suitable for this. Additionally I think in the long run it will make the children more angry that we wouldn't let their fathers and brothers and uncles in and that has more potential as a threat later. We preach about how children of single parent families turn out horribly and that idea creates more of those children, who may have familial ties to a terrorist organization.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)