Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My brother is mad he received a check!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies
So our uncle passed away in October. Come to find out he left several life insurance policies for me and my brother to split between us. While most of them were forums we had to fill out two were the simple sort where you show the obituary as proof and verify the information of the beneficiaries. No biggie. So the one where I needed to verify information I of course said my info and then she asked for my brothers. It Just so happens I know his info. (I mean come on he is my little brother) so after verifying information I was asked for our addresses so they could mail the checks. I gave mine and my brothers and they said okay 7-10 business days. So I was happy and called my brother to let him know to keep an eye on his mail.
So he calls me one morning and states that he received a check and I asked where from and once he told me I said "oh yes I told you about that like two weeks ago." Then he started having a fit about that I shouldn't be giving out his information and he wanted whatever documents I had that had his info on it. I told him knew his info by heart. Then he kept yelling about me giving everyone his information and how could I be so stupid. It went on like that for a while before I finally started screaming and cursing at him then hung up. Every time I tried to explain he kept cutting me off saying "you shouldn't do it" you shouldn't know it and don't give out my information" I kept saying "next time I will give them a number to reach you" and he said "don't give them anything of mine they don't need to send me anything they don't need to know anything" maybe I don't see what the problem is? I just verified information, I didn't give it out to a random people. These people already had his information if he wants to blame someone it should be our departed uncle. So now I'm mad and my husband is mad. My husband already said if we get invited to a party and they invited my brother we will not be going.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2015 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Diva-Mami
by Petty LaBelle on Nov. 16, 2015 at 8:14 PM
Next time call him and have him contact the person. He probably had other issues going on
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 8:14 PM
I'd be pissed as hell if you gave my social security number to anyone. That's not ok.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 8:14 PM
3 moms liked this

You can give them my info, I'll take your brother's checks 😄

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 8:15 PM
Well your brother is right. It is not your place to give his info. That should be up to him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 8:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds to me like he's paranoid because he has collections on his ass and they'll find out he has money.  Why else would someone flip out so badly when they are receiving money???

Rigby229
by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 8:18 PM
3 moms liked this
Just tell the idiot 'look I apologize for it I wanted to do you a favor. Next time I'll give the number for you to call the lawyer'. Then let it goooo let it gooooo...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 8:19 PM
You had no right to handle his business. I don't care that you "just so happens" to know it. You overstepped. I also find it odd that you know social. Own it, promise to keep your trap shut, apologize, and hopefully move on.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 8:20 PM
I kinda see his position. If it were anyone other than my spouse, I would be upset too. And why do you know your brother's SSN? I have 4 siblings...I know their birthdates and that's it. I have no reason to know anymore.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 8:22 PM
2 moms liked this
Back in the olden days, parents had to apply for a social security number for their kids. They weren't automatically issued the way they are now. So parents would wait until they had all the kids and apply for them all at once. So siblings would end up with very similar numbers.

Quoting Anonymous 6: You had no right to handle his business. I don't care that you "just so happens" to know it. You overstepped. I also find it odd that you know social. Own it, promise to keep your trap shut, apologize, and hopefully move on.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this
1936 was the first year social security numbers were issued consistently so I double your uncle just kicked it. Also, I doubt an insurance company would only talk to you to confirm this info. More than an obit is needed. That's not the way insurance companies handle it..I know this because I just went through this process. Troll.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Back in the olden days, parents had to apply for a social security number for their kids. They weren't automatically issued the way they are now. So parents would wait until they had all the kids and apply for them all at once. So siblings would end up with very similar numbers.

Quoting Anonymous 6: You had no right to handle his business. I don't care that you "just so happens" to know it. You overstepped. I also find it odd that you know social. Own it, promise to keep your trap shut, apologize, and hopefully move on.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)