Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Children may be in danger of being hit at school by an unlikely suspect: their teacher.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies

Out to save children from teacher’s cane

A CHILD protection charity is warning parents their children may be in danger of being hit at school by an unlikely suspect: their teacher.

Save the Children is calling on the Northern Territory Government to outlaw corporal punishment in all schools.

There is no law in the NT preventing lawful corporal punishment in public or private schools. However, the Department of Education said hitting children at school was against department policy.

The department’s deputy chief executive, Susan Bowden, said in a statement to the NT News: “Teachers must not engage in conduct which might cause physical or emotional harm to children and young people.

“It is not department policy, nor does the Northern Territory Department of Education support or condone the use of corporal punishment in Northern Territory Government schools. In its Protective Practices document, the Teacher Registration Board of the Northern Territory outlines that it is not appropriate to make physical contact with a child or young person (e.g. pushing, grabbing, poking, pulling) in order to ensure they comply with directions.”

Corporal punishment is either still allowed or not explicitly banned in Western Australia, Queensland, South Australia and here in the NT.

Ahead of Child Protection Week, Save the Children is asking governments to follow the lead of New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory, which have all banned corporal punishment in state and private schools.

Save the Children’s head of child protection, Karen Flanagan, said corporal punishment did “far more harm than good”.

“On average, children who are hit at school are more likely to be involved in anti-social behaviour, to regularly use violence against others later in life and to associate fear with education,” she said. “You wouldn’t expect to be hit by your boss at work for doing something wrong, so why should teachers be allowed to hit students in school?

“Australia is a signatory to the Convention on the Rights of the Child … which outlaws all forms of physical and humiliating punishment of children. However, until corporal punishment is banned completely, Australia is failing its obligations under the treaty.”

The Education Act is currently being reviewed and your input is welcome.

To provide feedback on the direction you would like to see education in the NT headed, visit the Department of Education’s website.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northern-territory/out-to-save-children-from-teachers-cane/story-fnk0b1zt-1227051806613

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2015 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 10:49 PM

Teachers' hit even when it's illegal. DD was hit by a teacher once (even with witnesses) and was told that without a bruise - there was no proof. I wish I could homeschool - but unfortunetely it's not as easy here as it is in the states. You have to actually get permission from the school to homeschool your own child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:06 PM

If a child is odd or violent. It is not caused by a teacher hitting the child.

The reason for the child being odd or violent. Is the child is disabled.

Or the parent is the one causing the child to be violent or odd. By abusing or neglecting the child. 

IAMmomtotrips
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol! This last weekend and this week I have already thrown a shoe at a kid, strangled two, thrown one over my hip and onto the floor, and clothes lined another one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:11 PM
3 moms liked this
So if spanking is the cause of anti social behavior and behavioral disorders, then why, if spanking isn't allowed, are children still acting out?
DarksMama
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:12 PM
2 moms liked this
Bullshit. Back under the bridge with you.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

If a child is odd or violent. It is not caused by a teacher hitting the child.

The reason for the child being odd or violent. Is the child is disabled.

Or the parent is the one causing the child to be violent or odd. By abusing or neglecting the child. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:16 PM
i hope you are exaggerating.

I accidentally hit one last year. She was fine. I was crying. I knew I was going to be plastered all over the news. Principal called mom...who laughed...and everything was fine.

Quoting IAMmomtotrips: Lol! This last weekend and this week I have already thrown a shoe at a kid, strangled two, thrown one over my hip and onto the floor, and clothes lined another one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:20 PM
Well they have to be getting spanked somewhere. I bet the teacher does it and no one believes the kid bc who would take their word over an adult??

I'm being completely sarcastic. I have often wondered the same thing. Ppl have issues. Kids have issues. But by taking spanking out of the picture, then saying "you can't take their recess away," teachers hands are tied. There are very little consequences. VERY little.

And w standardized testing a school has to have a high attendance school wide in order to get some kind of points or consideration or something. I can't remember exactly what it is. So bc of that we don't suspend or send kids home for behavior. They also have to be running a temp before we send them home. We don't even send home for head lice anymore.

It's crazy.

Quoting Anonymous 4: So if spanking is the cause of anti social behavior and behavioral disorders, then why, if spanking isn't allowed, are children still acting out?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:22 PM
My fifth grade teacher knocked me and another kid around regularly. Me because she didn't like what religion I was, another kid because he was Hispanic. Well my Dad caught her, and the principal asked my Dad if he wanted her fired, my Dad said no. But my gawd from that moment on she was as mean as she could get away with.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I grew up in Tennessee. They paddle kids in schools. Even high school. I live in New York now. A few years ago when my dd was 7 I took her to visit friends in my hometown. My best friend has a son the same age and he was telling her what school is like and for hours later she was like "they hit kids in school mom!" "Hit them and they think it's okay". She just couldn't wrap her head around it.
BmoreRavens
by Raven on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:46 PM

Quoting Anonymous 4: So if spanking is the cause of anti social behavior and behavioral disorders, then why, if spanking isn't allowed, are children still acting out?

Just because a child is not getting hit in school does not mean they are not getting hit at home. And even if a child were not getting hit at home there are many other reasons that children act-out.

Sexual abuse, verbal abuse, bullying, a parent showing partiality to a sibling, frustration, mental illness, learning disabilities, a parent's divorce, a custody battle, moving and having trouble adjusting to a new neighborhood/school, death of a family member or a pet, the birth of a new baby, feeling that they don't fit in, having trouble adjusting to a new step-parent, or the difficult temperament they were born with; which makes life harder for them than the child who was born more compliant, and easy going.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)