Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

American Girl doll for a 2-year-old??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies
I'll start off by saying that this offer was initially made a week prior to my daughter's 2-year birthday party. A female friend of my child's father offered to meet me and DD at American Girl so DD could "pick out" a doll. I turned down the offer saying that I was too busy getting ready for the party, I thanked her anyway, and said it was very generous, but too much.

We cut to a month and a half later. My child's dad and I have split. He was over tonight to have dinner and put DD to bed, and mentioned that he would be bringing her to the mall on one of his days with her this week. Expressly to meet with the friend so she could get DD the doll.

I flipped out, and here are my reasons:
Too expensive. Shes too young for such an extravagant gift. This woman has seen our daughter a handful of times over the last two years and they are not that close. I explained to him that these dolls are a big deal, and that it's a kind of rite-of-passage in a way. If DD ever shows interest in American Girl, I want me, her dad, or a close relative to be the one to gift it.

I can't even think of what the Daddy-to-Daughter equivalent would be to get him to understand. He keeps saying that the friend can afford it so who cares if DD is too young to take care of it. That she has other toys she never plays with so what does it matter?

I guess now I just dont want it to seem like I'm just being a jealous, pouty bitch. Deep inside I suppose I do feel that way; I don't want another woman taking that moment away from me. More so now that I'm having to share custody and lose time with her as it is. Am I making a bigger deal out of this than I should?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amybelle
by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:28 PM

yes, you are abslolutely making this a bigger deal than you should

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:30 PM
Teaching your child to ride a bike, go to a Daddy daughter dance, drive a car, watch Star Wars.... Those are big milestones he might get.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Just say thank you. FFS.
Liastele
by Lauren on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:33 PM

You guys are broken up and people are going to buy her stuff during dad's time. Suck it up.

This doll can stay at dad's house if it upsets you so much.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:34 PM
Guppy, puppy, yuppie!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:36 PM
............. it's an overpriced doll. Chill
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:36 PM
True. I suppose I do have to let up. Things are just different now.
Thanks.

Quoting Liastele:

You guys are broken up and people are going to buy her stuff during dad's time. Suck it up.

This doll can stay at dad's house if it upsets you so much.

2pink1blue
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:37 PM

It's a doll, not a rite of passage.  She will not rememeber this one specific doll or the act of getting it so it certainly isn't something to make such a huge stink out of. Just say thank you and be appreciative that someone wants to buy her a nice doll.  They are  good dolls and my girls loved their Bitty Babies at that age.

If she ends up being an AG doll lover, in 3-5 years she'll want to pick her own and maybe you can take her then.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:37 PM
Bitty baby dolls from American girl are 3 & up. And the bigger dolls are ages 8 & up. 2 is too young.

It would be a big deal to me too. It's one of those childhood milestones. Ear piercing, drivers license, first formal dress, and more.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 16, 2015 at 11:38 PM
You are being a pouty child. Just say thank you and be greatful.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)