Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

healthcare & working during blizzard

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 246 Replies

So I work in healthcare & I want to know if I have the legal ability to call in sick during a snowstorm? 

I am a CNA.

I absolutely CAN NOT drive my car in the snow, it has a bad front boot & can literally lose a wheel while driving. Also the AWD and power steering a shot in it. I'm putting a down payment on a new car with my taxes just FYI everyone.

My job insists they will send a van or a city plow to pick you up instead if you don't want to drive to work. Number one I have kids tat need a mother, 2 I don't know WHO drives that van or how WELL they drive, and 3 I have no guarantee someone will return me to home after my shift is up at 11:30. Can I legally tell them I do not want them picking me up and why?

My former job also as a CNA would allow you to call out buy did mandatory stay overs for the previous shift.

I am technically in a southern CT county classified as under a blizzard warning. We are right on the line between blizzard & storm warning in my city, we could possibly get 18 inches.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:53 AM

BUMP!

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:54 AM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:56 AM
10 moms liked this
Idk, sounds like they've done everything on their end to get you there safely...you work in healthcare, people depend on you for the sake of their health. When you go into that profession you accept that you don't get to just call out for bad weather.
marmie41
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:58 AM
44 moms liked this
On non severe weather days, you drive a dangerous car to work. A car that at any given time could cause injury or death to innocent people. But you're worried about some one else's driving ability.

Ok then.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:58 AM

This is more than bad weather it's a BLIZZARD. If  a HURRICANE came I would not go in to work, no when in hell would I. They have said this storm has hurricane like wind speeds.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Idk, sounds like they've done everything on their end to get you there safely...you work in healthcare, people depend on you for the sake of their health. When you go into that profession you accept that you don't get to just call out for bad weather.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:00 AM
2 moms liked this
You might as well start looking for another job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:00 AM
1 mom liked this

you go in or lose your job. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:00 AM

I bought the car in this condition AND was told that the car would be to drive as long as I didn't drive it in snow/ice. A mechanic told me this. Also, the condition I BOUGHT the car in, since it was the only car I could afford on that time, is no reflection on MY driving ability. I didn't put the car into the condition it's in, but it would cost 1/2 the cars value to fix the front boot, rather than wait it out 5 more weeks in what had been a mild winter up until today.

Quoting marmie41: On non severe weather days, you drive a dangerous car to work. A car that at any given time could cause injury or death to innocent people. But you're worried about some one else's driving ability. Ok then.

Kaelee1
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:00 AM
11 moms liked this
Maybe all the police and fireman and doctors can call in sick too. SMDH
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:00 AM
2 moms liked this

Pretty sure health workers have to come in regardless of weather conditions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)