Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any cattle farmers or farmers wife on here, question about down cow!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies

Long shot but this seems to be one of the most popular groups

So we have a downer, already had the vet come and tell us if she didn't get up soon she was going to die or would have to be put down. That was 2 weeks ago, we gave her steroids and antibiotics put her in a sling but that did more harm than good as her back legs got a bit swollen so we dropped her yesterday and let her rest. The reason she is like this is because she may have been bred to a very large bull and had a pretty big calf that got stuck, by the time we saw her the calf was already dead and had to be pulled to save the calf. She is the sweetest cow ever, she is a milking cow so she is very tame as the rest of our cows. I have been reading online that Vitamins may help, I feel like I should ask the vet but I have already spoken to a couple and all say there is nothing else to do. Truth is we refuse to give up we love these animals. Has anyone been through this any recommendations?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:24 AM
Shoot her and have a steak :) yw
momofirish3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:25 AM
Here's a bump. Best wishes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:25 AM
I'd believe the vets. Especially since more then one told you the same thing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:26 AM

after all those meds no thanks.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Shoot her and have a steak :) yw

handy0318
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:28 AM
Sorry, but I have to agree with the vet. If she were one of ours, we would put her down. She is suffering, so it's really for the best. This can be a hard business to be in at times like these. :-(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:29 AM

We are thinking of putting her down, but we just heard stories from family friends that also have cows about them getting up out of no where. I guess the hope is still there, my husband thinks that she is not suffering yet so why put her down?

Quoting Anonymous 2: I'd believe the vets. Especially since more then one told you the same thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:32 AM

It is specially hard on my DH because we just bought the farm a year and a half ago so he is just starting out. He kinda just wants to quit, I tell him this must happen to other many times. I really do feel bad for the cow, I would not like to be laying in my feces and urine till someone came to move me, but dh is not ready to give up.

Quoting handy0318: Sorry, but I have to agree with the vet. If she were one of ours, we would put her down. She is suffering, so it's really for the best. This can be a hard business to be in at times like these. :-(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:34 AM
Lol it was a giggle response.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

after all those meds no thanks.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Shoot her and have a steak :) yw

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:34 AM
She needs calcium. Call a more competent vet.
handy0318
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 2:35 AM
When was the last time she got up on her own?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

It is specially hard on my DH because we just bought the farm a year and a half ago so he is just starting out. He kinda just wants to quit, I tell him this must happen to other many times. I really do feel bad for the cow, I would not like to be laying in my feces and urine till someone came to move me, but dh is not ready to give up.

Quoting handy0318: Sorry, but I have to agree with the vet. If she were one of ours, we would put her down. She is suffering, so it's really for the best. This can be a hard business to be in at times like these. :-(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)