Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

their heat when out and they are mad we wouldn't come get them

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 200 Replies
We in in GA. Last night at around 11 pm, dh got a call from his parents saying that their heat wasn't working. The roads were icy. Dh told them that they would be welcome here but with the icy roads, strong winds and the fact that they both really are not supposed to drive in the dark because of their eyesight, my husband was worried about them driving over here. He expressed this concern and ask if they have firewood. They said that they did. So he suggested that instead of risking driving over here which is about 20 minutes away in good driving conditions they just light the fireplace and sleep in the living room next to fireplace. Maybe bring their mattress down there.

My fil then said "you mean you aren't going to come get us?" Dh said " well to come get you I would have to spend about an hour total out on dangerous road conditions in bad weather and I'm really not comfortable doing that. I have a family to take care of. You will be fine with your fireplace". Fil started yelling about how he doesn't care for them and they are going to freeze! Lol Dh was exhausted. He works 12 hour shifts and had just worked 12 hour shifts 5 days in a row. In an annoyed tone he said "put an extra layer on, light your fireplace and sleep in your living room and you'll be fine, I'll call you in the morning to see if we can get someone out to fix your heater (we will have to lend them the money). Love you, goodnight" and he hung up. Fil and mil each called both of our phones several times (we didn't answer) so we turned our phones off.

This morning , I got on to Facebook to see that my mother-in-law had posted a long rant about how they barely survived the night and they've been up all night freezing with blue lips shivering and that their only son would not help them. Someone actually thought they had been outside last night.I replied that we are happy to help but that while they have a home, blankets and a fireplace, dh was not going to risk getting in an accident to come get them (I got 15 like's in a matter of minutes). We also got several calls from family members trying to find out what was going on. Dh called his parents and told them after that stunt, they can figure out how to pay for it themselves!

They are so dang dramatic!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:07 PM
3 moms liked this
This was not an emergency. It was safer for them to stay there bundle up and sit in front of the fireplace than for my husband to spend an hour on the road in these conditions.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Geeze I hope you never have an emergency situation and need help..

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:07 PM
6 moms liked this
I would have went and picked them up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:08 PM
6 moms liked this
Good for your DH. He shouldn't needlessly endanger himself (and them!) to feed their dramatics. They had heat, they were fine.
Stephd710
by Emerald Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you. My parents hear went out one winter and they did not call on their children to save their butts. They did just like you suggested, they lit a fire and slept in the living room.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this
And that's your choice. My husband felt that his life was worth more than one night of discomfort for them. And really half the time that he would have been on the road they would have been in the car too so they would have been at risk too. It was really less risky for everyone for them to stay home.

Quoting vegaswife2011: I would have went and picked them up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:10 PM
8 moms liked this
Whoa. Being lazy and acting incapable isn't an emergency. No decent parent would ask their ONLY SON to risk his life to pick them up when they are capable of heating their home with wood. I live in Maine. I'll drive in two feet of snow and not blink an eye. Ice? Oh, hell no. Now, if they were dying (heart attack, bleeding out, stroke) that would be an emergency and worth the risk.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Geeze I hope you never have an emergency situation and need help..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

If they were in such fear for their lives, they should have called emergency services...

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Y'all get a pass cuz you live in Georgia and it's really likely that none of you have extensive ice/snow driving practice under your belts and neither do the majority of OTHER people on the road. An accident was definitely a likelihood and a real risk.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Have you ever driven on an inch of ice? Or any ice?

Quoting vegaswife2011: I would have went and picked them up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:11 PM
Thank you. I'm thinking that they are forgetting that for most of history people didn't have heaters. They were not outside they were in their home. They have plenty of blankets and could put on several layers. There was no reason for them to be dramatic.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Good for your DH. He shouldn't needlessly endanger himself (and them!) to feed their dramatics. They had heat, they were fine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)