Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stupid mouse traps. FML

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
So I'm going to say that we live in the country. The only way to not get mice is to have a cat. ODS is allergic to cats. There was a stray cat hanging around our property for a while. But then we got a dog, and she ran the cat off. We still didn't have a mouse problem, because the Hawks took care of the mice. But sadly, the dog scared off the Hawks as well.
But does the dog keep the mice away? Nope. She just barks at them.

I wouldn't say we really have a mouse problem. But we have been taking extra care to keep the house extra clean and we keep traps down. We typically keep traps behind dressers and behind the pantry door and in the cabinets.
I haven't seen a lot of evidence of mice (mouse poop). Maybe 1-2 times. The dog food bag was chewed through, but we started keeping the dog food in a plastic container, that solved a lot of problems.

Anyways a few months ago we had traps that kept the mice closed inside. Well our bathroom started to stink really bad. I checked the trap and I thought it was still set so I left it alone. A couple of days later DH checked it and there was a mouse with maggots inside it. I guess the trap didn't set off all the way? Idk. It was gross. So we bought a different kind of trap (glue) and I vowed to check them regularly.

Well I put a trap behind my nightstand. One day I didn't see it anymore and assumed DH took care of it. Well then I started smelling something foul. I check all the traps. But the smell seemed to be coming from the nightstand.
This time I moved the night stands and I still didn't see anything. It wasn't until I was putting it back did I notice that the glue trap was stuck to the bottom of the nightstand. It was almost completely out of sight.

Well just a few days ago. I started smelling something again. I check all of the traps. Nothing. Couldn't find anything. Today it was really bothering me. So I started moving everything. Even places I don't remember putting traps. Well then I started moving my dresser. A trap was stuck under my damn dresser! I don't even remember buying that kind of trap either!

Wtf?!?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamasunshine200
by Kasey on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:43 PM
We had to buy the huge warf rat glue traps. These little bastards out here will run off with those tiny ones! We spent so much time pulling our fridge out to get them.
702girly
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:46 PM

Gross. I don't understand people like you. When I have to put out mouse traps, I check them daily. I can't even imagine just leaving an animal to rot in my home. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:56 PM
I was checking them! The first time the trap was still "set."

The second time the trap "disappeared"and I thought DH got it. I think when the mouse got on the glue trap it was still able to wiggle the trap to get it under the nightstand.

The third time I didn't know there was a trap behind my dresser. I guess DH put one back there

Quoting 702girly:

Gross. I don't understand people like you. When I have to put out mouse traps, I check them daily. I can't even imagine just leaving an animal to rot in my home. 

TheLadyAmalthea
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:58 PM
When we moved suddenly out of state for my husban's job the only place we could find was an old nasty trailer in the woods. It was only temporary until we found a more acceptable place. The thing was full of mice. I have a dog, he didn't do anything. I had to get up every morning and sweep up mouse poop. We tried mouse traps. The mice were too smart. We didn't catch a single mouse. So, we got a cat. No more mice. I know you said you can't get a cat, but that was the only thing that worked. Try looking into other ways to naturally repel mice. It may help. I've read that even the smell of a cat is enough to send them running.
mama_danetta
by She's so heavy on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I wish people wouldn't use glue traps. I think they're so mean.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:03 PM
We aren't full of mice. I hardly ever see mice poop. I think we just get the occasional mouse manages to get into the house

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea: When we moved suddenly out of state for my husban's job the only place we could find was an old nasty trailer in the woods. It was only temporary until we found a more acceptable place. The thing was full of mice. I have a dog, he didn't do anything. I had to get up every morning and sweep up mouse poop. We tried mouse traps. The mice were too smart. We didn't catch a single mouse. So, we got a cat. No more mice. I know you said you can't get a cat, but that was the only thing that worked. Try looking into other ways to naturally repel mice. It may help. I've read that even the smell of a cat is enough to send them running.
TinkTink205
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:05 PM
I wish you weren't allergic to cats. They kill mice and put them in a visible spot because they want us to see it.
Plus-size-mommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this
We had a cat and he wouldn't catch a mouse in the house if his life depended on it. Oh, he'd go outside and catch anything that moved and bring it in but a mouse in the house, no big deal. I swear, I think they were friends.

Quoting TinkTink205: I wish you weren't allergic to cats. They kill mice and put them in a visible spot because they want us to see it.
raggedpoppy0
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:09 PM
I feel your pain about the mice. We live in the country too. Dh uses the regular traps. I refuse to touch the mice but dh takes care of it. So far there have just been two that have been caught but there's another on the loose. I'm allergic to cats also or I would have one.
TinkTink205
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:11 PM
If you smear peanut butter on the trap it has a better chance of going off. I know cheese didn't work because they could get cheesse and not set a trap.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)