Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WTF do I do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
My 8 year old has a playdate this afternoon with a girl in his class. It's at her house. They are planning on playing video games together. He has never been to a playdate at someone's house that I've just left him at because usually his playdates are with family and friends I know also. He has been in the same class with this girl for 3 years, it's a small school. My question is am I supposed to leave him alone at their home or stay with him? I'm socially awkward and super shy and am uncomfortable with what I'm supposed to do. Also if so what is an appropriate amount of time for him to be there, her mom didn't specify.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:35 PM
???
SamMom912
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:37 PM
At 8 Id say 2.5 hours.
Id tell the mom youll be back, give her ur cell. & go run local errands.
Bieg9093
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:38 PM

At that age, there's no reason not to drop off.  Just ask Mom what time she'd like you to get him.  If she gives a vague answer, tell her you'll be back in 4 hours. 

And I'm a fan of sending kids on a playdate with a box of cookies or something.  Can't just go walking in the door with your arms hanging.

Don't text and drive. 

That doesn't mean you can look at your phone at red lights or stop signs or if you think you can do it quickly or if traffic's slow.  Just don't.  You're an adult.  Exercise some impulse control.  Quit driving like a 4 year old. 

Bieg9093
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Oh yes, good advice...definitely make plans to reciprocate when you pick up.

Quoting MOM-RN:

How old is he?

I always leave the kids at play dates. You need to reciprocate the play date at your house to give her mother a break. 

Don't text and drive. 

That doesn't mean you can look at your phone at red lights or stop signs or if you think you can do it quickly or if traffic's slow.  Just don't.  You're an adult.  Exercise some impulse control.  Quit driving like a 4 year old. 

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Meet his parent(s), talk for a minute, confirm pick-up or drop-off times, exchange numbers. I always coach my daughter to be on her very best behavior at friends' houses so that she'll be invited back in the future. I remind her to be polite, use her manners, and to get along with her friend. She's a darling girl, but I think that's partially because I stay on top of her constantly to be the best she can be.

geeez
by Baroness on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:44 PM
Drop him off and.ask the mother what time she wants you to pick ds up..

Angel-Snow
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:45 PM

I would leave them. 

Beware of the other posters here coming in anonymous to tell you that you are a helicopter mom and its time to cut the cord lol. 

I understand how hard it is to know when its time to do that. Good luck! 

KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:47 PM
I've been dropping DD off at play dates since age 6. She'll stay 5-6 hours, or her friend will stay the same amount of time here. I've always exchanged phone numbers with the parents.
firespurity
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:51 PM
8 is appropriate to leave. Give mom your number and stay nearby. I like the idea of bringing a snack or something for the kids to do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:51 PM
He is old enough to stay by himself. Walk him to the door, meet the parents, talk for a minute or two, tell her what time you plan to be back. When you pick him up, tell her you would like to plan a lay date at your house next time, and you will be in contact with her soon.

Go grab some coffee, go shopping, go to the library, etc... Everything will be fine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)