Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tax question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
Ok so this is my first year filing taxes. I started working last year in July. My grandmother wants to still claim me as a dependent. My question is can I still be claimed as a dependent and claim my 3 children myself? I know I know what a stupid question but I'm new to this.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:24 PM
No. If she claims you, you won't be able to claim yourself. Was she supporting you?
Tooth_Inspector
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:24 PM
Do you live with her or did you live with her for 6 months last year?
DulcisDomus
by Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:25 PM

You can only claim your children if you paid at least half of their living expenses for the entire year. If you didn't pay half (or more) of your own, you are technically a dependent, and they are also dependents of whoever supported them.

blessed107
by Diamond Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:26 PM
You only started working in July, which means she was caring for you majority of last year. It's best to allow her to claim you this time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:27 PM
I live with her but as far as food or anything like that no.

Quoting bluebunnybabe: No. If she claims you, you won't be able to claim yourself. Was she supporting you?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:28 PM
You must live with her 6 full months and she pays 50% or more of supporting you. She can claim you and your kids if you all lived with her and ABOVE!
GOOGLE YOUR QUESTION!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:29 PM
I took care of them their whole life but I do live with her for right now.

Quoting DulcisDomus:

You can only claim your children if you paid at least half of their living expenses for the entire year. If you didn't pay half (or more) of your own, you are technically a dependent, and they are also dependents of whoever supported them.

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
She shouldn't be claiming you then. You should be filing head of household & claiming your children. You can use turbo tax & it will walk you through it & is generally free for simple returns which I imagine yours is.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I live with her but as far as food or anything like that no.

Quoting bluebunnybabe: No. If she claims you, you won't be able to claim yourself. Was she supporting you?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok thank you

Quoting bluebunnybabe: She shouldn't be claiming you then. You should be filing head of household & claiming your children. You can use turbo tax & it will walk you through it & is generally free for simple returns which I imagine yours is.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I live with her but as far as food or anything like that no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:32 PM
No. You have children of your own so no one else should be claiming you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)