Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They seriously sent all those kids home with expired produce?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
My kids go to a school that has a large low income population, they do a program called Feed America where a truck comes and delivers fresh produce once a month. I think it's a great program for kids that might not get a lot of produce at home, we don't need and usually can't use the stuff they send home fast enough because it's usually close to going bad so I usually take it to a nearby park and pass it out to the homeless people there. Unless it's something like a bunch of onions and eggplant. My kids have tried to opt out but the people giving out the food make them take it.

Yesterday my kids came home with a huge bag of kale, spinich, arugula salad mix that had a best if used by date of 1/4/16... I can't believe they sent that home with a bunch of kids!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MOM-RN
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:34 PM
2 moms liked this

It isn't expired. That is the sell by date for the grocery store. If it isn't wilting or smells then it is fine to eat. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:37 PM
yeah, nope leafy greens do not last almost 20 days past the sell date.

Quoting MOM-RN:

It isn't expired. That is the sell by date for the grocery store. If it isn't wilting or smells then it is fine to eat. 

MOM-RN
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Leafy greens don't have a expiration date. They go bad when they start to wilt and smell. If they aren't they are fine. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: yeah, nope leafy greens do not last almost 20 days past the sell date.
Quoting MOM-RN:

Dardenella
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:41 PM

Best used by means nothing how was the produce's condition?  Was it usable?

Rhodin
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:42 PM
Give it a sniff. If it's okay, make a big pot of wedding soup.
Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:44 PM
You need a date to tell you if produce is fresh enough to eat?
answeredprayer
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:44 PM
Oh good golly it was free. Don't complain. You pay for it, then complain. They are trying to not waste. I don't see a problem.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:44 PM
If it's not wilted or smelly, you're fine
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:46 PM
4 moms liked this

I ate produce out of date. Once. Now, I'm dead. Blogging from hell. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 1:48 PM
Were they slimy, wired, rotting?

Quoting Anonymous 1: yeah, nope leafy greens do not last almost 20 days past the sell date.

Quoting MOM-RN:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)